Blueberry Crumble Bars

I love blueberries. They’re easily my favorite fruit. I rarely get them fresh, though, because they’re usually so expensive! I don’t really like to snack on frozen blueberries, but they’re great to bake with! I made these blueberry crumble bars from Smitten Kitchen and everyone who’s tried one really enjoyed them (or so they said!). This is definitely one of my new favorite recipes and I can’t wait to make them with raspberries (as requested by Lance). These are sweet, but they aren’t too sweet and the crumb is delicate and buttery. Recipe after the jump!

Ingredients!

Combine the flour, 1 cup of sugar, salt, baking powder, and lemon zest.

Yes, this recipe uses quite a bit of butter! Just cut it into the flour to forget about that, though! I used my hands, but a fork or a pastry cutter would work just as well.

The end result will be crumbly and there shouldn’t be any large chunks of butter hanging around.

Press half of your dough into the greased and/or lined pan.

In a medium bowl, combine the cornstarch, sugar, and lemon juice.

Gently mix in the blueberries.

Spread the blueberries out onto the crust.

Crumble the rest of your dough on top of the blueberries.

Bake them at 375 degrees F for about 40-45 minutes or until the top is golden.

Make sure they’re cooled or chilled before you slice them!

Every bite is full of blueberry goodness, I promise.

Blueberry Crumble Bars

Serves: 16 large bars

• 1 cup white sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup cold butter (2 sticks or 8 ounces), cubed
  • 1 egg
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • Zest and juice of one lemon
  • 4 cups fresh or frozen blueberries (if using frozen, be sure to drain them!)
  • ⅓ cup white sugar
  • 4 teaspoons cornstarch

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease and/or line a 9×13 inch pan (I highly suggest lining your pan with tinfoil and then spraying it with a bit of Pam for easy removal).
  2. In a medium bowl, stir together 1 cup sugar, 3 cups flour, and baking powder. Mix in the salt and lemon zest.
  3. Use a fork or pastry cutter to blend in the butter and egg (I used my hands and found it to be much easier). Dough will be crumbly. Pat half of dough into the prepared pan.
  4. In another bowl, stir together the sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice. Gently mix in the blueberries.
  5. Sprinkle the blueberry mixture evenly over the crust. Crumble remaining dough over the berry layer.
  6. Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until top is slightly brown (mine were absolutely perfect at 45 minutes, but check them at about 40 minutes to make sure they aren’t burning!). Cool completely before cutting into squares (I chilled mine in the fridge for a bit). Makes 16 large bars.

Adapted From

1. Nicole says:

These look so good! I’m tempted to make them right now!

2. Pearl says:

It looks so simple! Thanks for sharing :)

3. Cas says:

Those look really yummy! I get referrals from your blog to mine all the time, so I thought I would pop over and check it out. Very impressive! Love the photos and the simple recipes… you cook like I do.. although I am not much of a baker.. I enjoy the creative aspects of cooking a meal more than the exactness of baking.. but, I have been known to put out a batch or two of brownies or cookies. I am going to add you to my favs and I’ll definitely be back..

4. Kevin says:

Those blueberry bars look so good!

5. Those look absolutely delish! I’m adding these to my recipe to-do list :)

6. Ingrid says:

I like the look of the distinct layers. I’m with Lance, raspberries, please!
    ~ingrid

7. Donna says:

Dying for this right now. Your pictures are so tempting. Blueberries are on sale this week, Im getting some.

8. Nan says:

It is a great recipe – one of my favorites…and now that I’ve been reminded of it again I think I’m going to have to make it! I loved your blog – thanks for the great read! Nan

9. thevirginia says:

These were a great hit with my roommates! They already want more, haha :)

10. culinspiration says:

What great photos! This reminds me of a similar recipe from Rachel Ray that uses cherries: http://culinspiration.wordpress.com/2009/02/08/rachel-rays-cherry-coffee-cake/

11. jrcpearl says:

I made these this morning, I actually used my food processor to cut the butter into the flour, and then like you, used my hands to bring everything together after adding the egg. I also used Release foil which is non-stick to line the pan.

12. Linda says:

I’m making this right now. I don’t think I had enough of the dough for the top :/ I hope it turns out ok!

13. Sherry says:

I made these too and loved ‘em! Instead of a 9 x 13 pan I did an 8 x 8. I just left out some of the crumbly goodness and halved the blueberries. Still wonderful!

14. Annie says:

I just had to mention how much more I adore you now that I know you shop at Fresh and Easy… that store makes me so happy!
    I actually have the same exact baggy of blueberries sitting in my freezer ;)

15. [...] Blueberry Crumble Bars | Crepes of Wrath I made these blueberry crumble bars from Smitten Kitchen and everyone who’s tried one really enjoyed them (or so they said!). [...]