Lemon Bars

I love lemon bars, there’s just something about them. They’re lightly sweet and almost luscious, don’t you think? I’ve made lemon bars many times, but I haven’t posted them on here, yet! I figured it was about time. I can’t remember where I got this recipe, because it’s been sitting in my recipe folder for so long on a handwritten piece of notebook paper (I used to hand write all of my recipes my first year of college because I didn’t have a printer at home). Lemon bars require the simplest of ingredients and take almost no time at all. That, and they’re always certain to please a crowd! There’s no reason not to make these soon! Recipe after the jump, as always.

Meet your ingredients.

Combine your flour, sugar, and salt.

Add the butter and combine with your hands until you’ve got a coarse crumb mixture.

Press the dough into a lined and/or greased pan and bake at 350 degrees F for 15-20 minutes or until the edges are just beginning to turn golden brown.

My Microplaner. I don’t know what I’d do without it.

Rub the zest and sugar together.

Add your eggs.

Add your lemon juice.

Whisk until completely combined (I love that I don’t have to use my mixer for this recipe!).

Remove your crust from the oven when it’s ready and just beginning to turn golden brown around the edges.

Pour the filling over the hot crust.

Bake at 350 degrees F for 20-25 minutes, or until the bars are set and don’t wiggle around too much.

When ready, remove the pan and allow it to cool completely!

Dust with powdered sugar and enjoy! Delicate and delicious.

Lemon Bars

Serves: 12-16 squares

• 1½ cups all-purpose flour + ¼ cup for filling
  • ¼ cup white sugar + 1¼ cup for filling
  • ¼ teaspoon kosher salt + ½ teaspoon for filling
  • ½ cup cold butter, cubed
  • 4 eggs
  • Zest and juice of 2 lemons, separated
  • powdered sugar (for dusting)

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In a medium bowl, combine 1½ cups flour, ¼ cup white sugar, and ¼ teaspoon of salt.
  2. Add the cubed butter to the flour and using your hands, combine the butter with the flour until you’re left with a crumbly mixture.
  3. Press this flour/butter mixture into a greased and/or lined 9×13 pan (I really suggest lining the pan with tin foil and spraying with Pam – this way, you can lift the bars right out of the pan when they’re ready to cut instead of having to angle your knife into a pan). Bake the crust for 15-20 minutes or until just turning golden on the edges.
  4. While the crust bakes, combine the zest of 2 lemons and 1¼ cups of white sugar in a medium sized bowl and rub them together until the zest is incorporated into the sugar (this makes sure that all of the lemon flavor/oils from the zest is well incorporated into the sugar and filling).
  5. Whisk or beat in the eggs and add the lemon juice. Add ¼ cup of flour and ½ teaspoon of salt and whisk them in, too.
  6. Pour the lemon filling over the hot crust and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the top is set and doesn’t wiggle.
  7. Remove the lemon bars from the oven and allow to cool COMPLETELY before sprinkling with powdered sugar and cutting. Makes about 12-16 squares, depending on how large or small you cut them.

1. Pearl says:

The dusting of white powder makes it look so ethereal!

2. Rhian says:

your blog is amazing, everytime you post on livejournal i come check out what you’re up to! do you have an RSS link? i couldn’t find it…
    these bars look incredible! thank you for posting them!

3. [...] Natalie Carrozza Blair put an intriguing blog post on Lemon BarsHere’s a quick excerpt…my recipe folder for so long on a handwritten piece of notebook paper (I used to hand write all of my Brecipes/B my first year of college because… [...]

4. Laurel says:

I needed a nice, light treat for a friend of mine….these are perfect! I’ll be making them tonight. :-)

5. Cindy says:

These bars look so good. I love (extra-lemony) lemon bars.

6. Megumi says:

sugoi! I can’t wait to get started making this.

7. Morgan says:

you should try Ina Garten’s lemon bars, they’re VERY lemony and they use the zest of 6 lemons! they’re sooo amazing. Her’s are a bit taller than yours and have a lot more lemon on the top. yummm :)

8. Elyse says:

i love lemon bars! i have to admit that sometimes i cheat and use the box mix, but your recipe looks so delicious (and easy!) that i have no excuse not to make these from scratch! thanks for sharing.

9. joanne says:

I think we got this recipe from Gangy, she puts them in the beloved freezer (where all GREAT cookies and desserts live) for extra cold lemony experience,
    Love Mommy
    Happy Valentines Day ♡♥♡♥♡

10. achieverstories says:

I love your web site! I started cooking for my wife on Mother’s day of last year and I am officially the “Sunday Chef” but beginning to cook more often when I am asked.
    Keep the recipe’s coming.

11. mona says:

these are great! i made them with orange (since we were out of lemons) and they were soooo good!

12. Mine are in the oven now. I goofed a little and beat the eggs/juice/flour separately then added the sugar/zest. Hopefully it’ll all turn out Okay. :)
    Smells delicious!

13. I made so many lemon dishes this past weekend, I wish I would have thought of these too. My aunt always made the best ones. Your picture is so beautiful. The 1st one at the top…

14. Philip says:

I tried this in relation to my blogging project “A Year With Lemons.” Thanks for an extremely tasty evening! Five stars. x

15. Kristen says:

YUMMY!!!!!!!

16. Kevin says:

Nice looking lemon bars!

17. chumpman says:

Wish I can grab a few pieces. Must be really yummy and refreshing, drool !

18. Kitty says:

I can’t even remember what recipe I was searching for but eventually ended up here. :o ) WoW what a treat…so much variety and everything I’ve read so far VERY easy to do with easily obtainable ingredients! BRAVO. Obviously I’ve added a bookmark and will certainly return again and again I’m sure. Your photos certainly are a huge help, especially for beginners, heck I love ‘em and I’ve been at the stove for many years heheheh. Thank you and keep up the EXCELLENT recipes!!

19. ~m says:

so. damn. lemony!

and delicious :)

20. ~m says:

hey, i just tried this with half a lemon and an orange, and the top, rather than being curdy, looks almost quichey. still tasty, though! do you think i just didn’t have enough non-egg liquid?

21. barbara says:

I had never made Lemon Bars before, and decided to give this a try as I have tried other recipes from your site and they were always good. I was a little nervous when the crust came out of the oven, it looked a little ‘puckered’ but the end result was DELICIOUS!! Thank you for a great recipe

22. psitemaker says: