Crock Pot Pot Roast

Crock Pot Pot Roast. Say that 5 times fast! Despite it’s redundant name, this pot roast came out juicy and tender, and the vegetables were just as flavorful. Oh, crock pot, what can’t you do? This meal only took a few minutes to throw together, and when I got home from work, the comfortable smell of a simmering roast was waiting for me. Kramer, Dane, and I all loved this and I’m sure to make it again the next time we’re in need of a easy meal. The marinade for this includes balsamic vinegar, honey, allspice, rosemary, and more; doesn’t that sound delicious? Leftovers also make a great sandwich the next day. Recipe after the jump!

Gather your ingredients (I only ended up using 4 potatoes).

Stir it all up and add in the paprika, allspice, salt and pepper.

Toss in half of your chopped vegetables.

Lay the meat on top of the first half of the vegetables, then pile the second half of the vegetables on top of the meat. My crock pot was definitely at its breaking point here, haha.

Place the setting on low and allow to cook for 8-10 hours.

Move the roast to a cutting board and slice to serve, or just shred it with two forks.

Dinner is served.

Crock Pot Pot Roast

Serves: 4

• 3 to 4 pound boneless chuck roast
  • 32 ounces low-sodium beef broth or stock
  • 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
  • ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • 2 teaspoons smoked (or regular) paprika
  • 3 teaspoons allspice
  • 2-3 large sprigs fresh rosemary
  • 3 medium sized carrots, coarsely chopped
  • 1 large onion, sliced thinly
  • 1 to 2 pounds potatoes, diced (about 3 medium potatoes)
  • Salt and pepper to taste

1. Spray your crock pot generously with Pam or line it with a crock pot liner.
  2. Pour the beef stock, balsamic vinegar, honey and tomato paste into the crock pot. Stir it together and add in the paprika, allspice, salt and pepper to taste.
  3. Toss in half of the vegetables and place your chuck roast on top of everything. Toss in the rest of the vegetables and stir everything all together as best you can, making sure that the beef is mostly submerged in the broth. Top with your rosemary.
  4. Set the crock pot on low and cover. Let it cook for 8-10 hours on low. If you can, check on it every so often and give it a little stir (this isn’t necessary if you are away from the house).
  5. When ready, move the roast to a cutting board and slice to serve. Serve with the vegetables and juices from the meat and broth. A salad might go well here too, but we were all about meat and potatoes that night. Serves 4.

1. This looks yummy! It’s cold today and I’m coming over! :)

2. Elyse says:

Yay! Crockpot recipe!!! Ever since I got my first crockpot, I’ve been searching for delicious recipes to showcase that good ole crockpot’s talents. This looks like such an awesome, flavorful recipe. Thanks for sharing!

3. April says:

I love to make pot roast this way. When I have even less time, I sear the meat, throw it in with the veggies and two cans of cream of mushroom soup (no water). It makes a delicious and tender roast with a very tasty gravy. So easy. I like your marinade, think I’ll give it a try next time.

4. weassist1 says:

I can’t wait to try this! I have never successfully mastered the pot roast!!!
    Yum!!!

5. Laura says:

This recipe looks great! It’s perfect for me too since I have two (yes TWO) chuck roasts in my freezer to cook! Thanks for sharing this recipe : )

6. Yum! I will have to try this… I love that you can cook it in the Crock Pot and that it cooks for more than 4-6 hours. I see so many of those recipes, and since I am away at work for at least 8 and don’t have a fancier Crock Pot that has timer capabilities, I need recipes that are 8 hours or more. So thank you! :)

7. Paul Lewis says:

What’s not to love about the combination of Balsamic, honey and rosemary (and good beef). I do have a bit of a problem with the way the crock pot tends to leave veggies a bit firm. I wonder if I poach them a bit before I put them into the crock pot if that will render them crumbly (like traditionally-stewed veggies)? Anyone?

8. ju says:

I HAD NO IDEA WHAT TO MAKE ON SUNDAY BUT YOU’VE SHOWN ME THE LIGHTZOMGKKTHX

9. ingrid says:

I’m not a big fan of red meat but I do like a good pot roast and yours looks so tender and juicy! I’m gonna definitely try the marinade for other cuts of beef.
    Btw, I tried yout spinach salad and let me tell you that dressing was the bomb! I didn’t cheat and use the precooked bacon pieces like I did for another recipe and what a difference. Thx!
    ~ingrid

10. Joanna says:

Oh, how I wish there was a vegetarian pot roast dish that measured up to this deliciosity!

11. Hubby loves pot roast looking forward to making this one!!

12. pepsakoy says:

Although I just had dinner..but your food simply made me drooling !!

13. A. Woz says:

I am so happy to have found your site! When i see the pic of the ingredients, it is like you have pulled stuff out of my own kitchen cabinets. I’ll be back for more…and great site title! CREPES OF WRATH…LOL are you a reader, too?

14. Rhonda says:

I looove my crock pot. I got a little 1.5 qt for Christmas and I am loving it. No way to get a roast in there though!! This looks fabulous.

15. marafaye says:

This looks awesome!! Thanks for sharing!

16. Katy says:

THIS is the reason I want a crock pot.

17. Anon says:

To the commenter that spoke of the evil Cream of Mushroom Poop, you suck.
    If you cook with condensed MSG soup you are not cooking , merely poisoning your family. I would be embarrassed to tell anyone I used that filth.

18. thecrepesofwrath says:

Anon – If you are so self-righteous about using condensed soup, maybe you should grow some balls and use your real name. Although I would be embarrassed and ashamed if I WERE you.

19. Gia says:

Just out of curiosity, how big’s your crockpot?

20. Sara says:

Your pot roast looks amazing! I love my crockpot, it’s so nice to come home to dinner already cooked.

21. ashley says:

I have only made pot roast in my crock pot! The result is always amazing!

22. Dyanna says:

I am sooo happy I’ve found your blog. I also love that roast is on sale this week at the grocery store.
    The thing I love most about your recipes is that you use things that most of us normally have in the cabinet. I don’t have to go running around town looking for that one ingredient at some high end/organic type of store.
    Thank you!!!!

23. [...] Crock Pot Pot Roast: The marinade for this includes balsamic vinegar, honey, allspice, rosemary, and more; doesn’t that sound delicious? Leftovers also make a great sandwich the next day. Recipe found at The Crepes Of Wrath. [...]

24. Karl says:

I make pot roast using chuck or brisket, carrots, potatos, onions, a dusting of pepper, and a pint of Guinness.
    I have to make a lot of it, because it tends to disappear when my back is turned.

25. Molly says:

Thank you so much for the format and recipes you provide on this site! I can’t wait to try out this pot roast. Unfortunately, every time I try to use my crock pot, it smells like burnt plastic, so I need to get another one! That’s on my list of things to do this weekend!

26. Jim says:

This is an attractive, appealing blog, thanks for the effort. We made the pot roast Sunday, and while it was good, the allspice was overwhelming: I think I’ll skip it completely next time. It made for nice aromas whilst heating, but it was just too pumpkin-pie-ish for us.
    Am I the only person who, after smelling something cook for several hours, can’t stand to eat the meal, then? Happens with anything I cook long, red beans and rice, roast, anything. I’ve taken to cooking outside (or in the garage, in the case of the crock-pot) so that I can enjoy what I’ve cooked.
    Kudos again for the site.

27. Molly says:

I actually completely agree with Jim, the allspice was a little too much for me. I removed it about halfway through the cooking process (I only had some “whole” allspice).
    I also was really excited about the balsamic vinegar, but I found that it made the veggies really spicy, so next time, I may tone that down a bit. I really liked the flavoring of the meat, however, so I’m really glad that I tried the recipe. Each one is a little experiment because we all have such different tastes.

28. RaiulBaztepo says:

Hello!
    Very Interesting post! Thank you for such interesting resource!
    PS: Sorry for my bad english, I’v just started to learn this language ;)
    See you!
    Your, Raiul Baztepo

29. SkippyMom says:

I use beef broth, oregano, salt and pepper – no need to go too fancy :) – I didn’t notice tho’ how big is your slow cooker?
    It helps when deciding on size of roast, number of potatoes and liquid.

30. PiterKokoniz says:

Hi !! ;)
    My name is Piter Kokoniz. oOnly want to tell, that your blog is really cool
    And want to ask you: what was the reasson for you to start this blog?
    Sorry for my bad english:)
    Tnx!
    Your Piter Kokoniz, from Latvia

31. Shaw Girl says:

So glad you liked the recipe! I never thought to use the leftovers in a sandwich before!

32. Mila says:

What a beautiful blog! I love your pictures!!!

33. Keven Baity says:

Awesome site yo have ghere

34. [...] for the first time post roast cook! If you want a crock pot pot roast recipe with great instructions and pictures then this is for [...]

35. [...] the house through the afternoon and by suppertime my mouth was watering. I found this recipe on Crepes of Wrath and I think I’ll use it again. Usually I don’t put allspice in my pot roast, but it [...]

36. Lesley Tighe says:

I made this today, it was delish! I ended up with a lot of liquid in the pot, so I just served it as a soup. Will make it again! Oh, and I found you on Pinterest!

37. Emily says:

I really want to make this for Christmas Eve dinner, but I need to know how many it serves. What about 5 adults?

38. Sharon says:

Just wanted to say thank you! We had this for dinner tonight, and my husband & I loved it! It was delicious. Even our boys (4 & 7) liked it.
    I admit I was skeptical, as the 2 roast recipes I usually make are more typical.
    But the balsamic vinegar and honey sounded interesting, and we’re so glad to have tried this recipe.
    Very, very good!
    We skipped the rosemary as that’s just not a seasoning we prefer, but it was wonderful. Thank you!!
    Oh, and I also found you via Pinterest. :)

39. Eric says:

I did not care for this at all. The ROAST itself came out very good and tender but the gravy is very bland, very BLEH, it just did not taste very good… We made this twice, thinking maybe the first time it was something we did but the second time came out the same. Stay away from this recipe, I will not make it again.

• HeidiG. says:

@Eric, are you sure you made it correctly because I made this today and all I can tell you is that it’s was anything but bland and I didn’t use any salt or pepper. I didn’t have much of a ‘gravy’ consistency, mine was more like a soup. Did you use fresh rosemary? I’m just baffled that you’ve declared this recipe so bland. I thought about your comment all day while it was cooking and was very surprised that your assessment was completely off the mark.

I guess I could chalk it up to me having no tastes, but then that would mean my husband, kids, mother & father in-law don’t have tastes either.

My assessment is make this! It was so good and will go in my recipe book!

40. [...] yorkshire pudding was from Simple Bites. The pot roast was from Crepes of [...]

41. Angela says:

I added 2 cups red wine, garlic, nutmeg and a few dashes Worcestershire. Turned out awesome!!

42. Hey there! I’ve been following your weblog for a long time now and finally got the bravery to go ahead and give you a shout out from Dallas Texas! Just wanted to mention keep up the fantastic work!

43. [...] end, I decided to go from scratch. After looking at a good 20 recipes or so, I decided to go with this one from The Crepes of Wrath. Of course, I made a few minor adjustments but the basics are the same. I [...]

44. […] Crock Pot Pot Roast […]

45. peter mcgee says:

should all the veggies be covered by liquid

46. Matt says:

I just put this in the slow cooker today. This is a great meal for democrats and a terrible meal for republican families who don’t like to try different ingredients.

47. […] full instructions on : crepesofwrath.net Recipe […]

48. thecrepesofwrath says:

Gia: I’m not quite sure, but I think that it’s 4 quarts.