Khao Na Gai

This is a Thai recipe is from She Simmers. She calls it “what to make when you’ve only got a chicken breast in the fridge” and it’s true! I had all of the ingredients for this in my house already and Dane, Kramer, and I couldn’t get enough of this dish. The sauce itself was absolutely delicious; I love oyster sauce and it always brings out tons of flavor in a dish! Not to mention that the chicken was tender and juicy. I’ll definitely be making this again when all I’ve got in the fridge is a chicken breast or two! Recipe after the jump, as always.

Cut up your chicken and cook in a pan with your vegetable oil.

While the chicken cooks, combine your sauce ingredients.

Allow the chicken to cook almost completely.

Then add your sauce and cook until thickened (but not too thick).

Serve over rice of your choice!

Khao Na Gai
Serves: 3

• 2 6-ounce boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 4 tablespoons oyster sauce
  • 4 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 4 tablespoons Chinese rice wine
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 2 teaspoons garlic powder
  • 2 teaspoons sesame oil
  • ½ cup water
  • ground black pepper, to taste
  • 2 cups cooked rice, for serving (I used brown rice)

1. Mix all the ingredients, except the chicken and vegetable oil, together in a bowl. Begin to cook your rice according to instructions.
  2. Heat the vegetable oil over medium heat in a medium nonstick pan or wok. Saute the chicken until almost cooked through. Pour the sauce mixture into the skillet and stir. Continue to cook until the chicken is completely cooked and the sauce has thickened. If the sauce is too thick, add a little more water, a tablespoon at a time.
  3. Pour the warm chicken and its sauce over steamed rice. Enjoy!

Adapted From

1. Amy says:

Well I know what I’m making tonight! There are so many times when I only have a chicken breast in the fridge, and today is one of them. Thanks for the recipe!

2. ingrid says:

Thanks for sharing the recipe…..many times that’s all I have in the fridge! Will definitely give this a try!
    ~ingrid

3. ingrid says:

Meant to tell you that I am having a giveaway and would love for you to enter and maybe get lucky and win. Please stop by my blog to enter. :-)
    ~ingrid

4. nate says:

random question- in your picture you have rice vinegar… and in the recipe you call for rice wine.
    they’re different right? which should i use?

5. g says:

Looks delish!

6. Memoria says:

Hmm, then I must be weird because I don’t think many people can say they have oyster sauce, rice wine, and sesame oil in their pantries. Those seem like specialty items for people who cook Asian food on a regular basis.
    Nevertheless, this dish looks very tempting.

7. Memoria says:

You need more than just chicken breast to make this recipe.

8. Jen T. says:

Oh man, this does look really yummy, and I’m not really in the mood to spend time cooking… and I have defrosted chicken breasts in the fridge…
    Could you clarify if you used rice wine or rice vinegar, though? Someone else mentioned this as well. Or maybe you used rice wine vinegar? Which would be awesome, because there’s a bottle of that in my pantry.

9. Elyse says:

I love when you can make a great dish from ingredients you already have on hand. That’s my kind of dinner! This chicken looks fabulous. I’m going to have to make this very soon.

10. Pearl says:

*sigh* i know i tell you this all the time, but you spoil those lucky boys you live with! :)

11. Aathira says:

I love Pan Asian cuisines!
    Gonna try this soon!

12. anne says:

these are all things i always have in the pantry and fridge, thanks!

13. Jen T. says:

I just made this (I was too lazy to cook last night), and it’s really yummy! A word of warning, though, the sauce thickens really quickly, or at least it did for me. It only took about 30-45 seconds for it to thicken! Still really yummy, I just had to keep adding water while I waited for the rice to finish. I might have had the stove too high, though.

14. Kevin says:

That chicken looks tasty!

15. Lyndsey says:

Other than the oyster sauce, we have all of these items in our pantry. We cook Asian food about once every two weeks and those are all items that you’d need. We will DEFINITELY be making this soon.

16. Rie says:

I’m a little confused, in the recipe do you use rice wine OR rice wine vinegar?

17. Laura says:

Is there a substitute for the oyster sauce? My boyfriend is allergic to seafood and this looks so yummy!

18. Jim says:

Made it just now myself. Delicious, and it does thicken up quickly. Man, it smells good while it’s cooking. I’m going to look for some reduced-sodium soy sauce, though, as it was a little too salty (and I REALLY like salt). I think I’ll cut back on the rice wine vinegar (?) and add some green onions next time, too.
    Thanks a bunch for the site and this particular recipe. As my babe says, “It’s a have-again!”
    Again, nice site, very nice photography and layout.

19. Kira says:

This was a wonderful dish! This is my favorite cooking blog :)

20. Aelia says:

I tried it, and while it was pretty tasty, I thought the vinegar-y taste was a bit strong. Any suggestions to lessen that?

21. thecrepesofwrath says:

Memoria: The original recipe was for one 4-oz chicken breast, but I changed it in my blog to serve 3. Sometimes you have 2 chicken breasts in the fridge; I think most families do. Thanks for the friendly comment! :)

22. thecrepesofwrath says:

Memoria: In my house, I cooked Asian food on a regular basis. Many families do. I’m sure that you have things in your pantry that you consider to be every day items that some people do not.

23. thecrepesofwrath says:

Nate: I’ve heard people say that they’re different, but from what I understand, they’re the same thing. I’ve bought rice vinegar and rice wine vinegar and used them both for the same recipes and noticed no change. “They’re the same. In order to make vinegar you first have to ferment the sugar in something into alcohol (i.e. make rice wine) and then ferment the alcohol into acetic acid.”

24. thecrepesofwrath says:

Jen: It does thicken very quickly! I probably should have mentioned it; it’s hard to remember sometimes when I’m writing the post, though, haha. Glad you thought it was tasty!

25. thecrepesofwrath says:

Rie: They are essentially the same thing (even though I’ve read that it both is and isn’t the same thing). I’ve used it interchangeably in the same and different recipes and never noticed a difference.

26. thecrepesofwrath says:

Aelia: Add less rice wine vinegar.