Double Chocolate Chunk Muffins

These muffins are insane. They’re so moist and chocolatey and delicious. You won’t be able to eat just one, I promise you. All of my friends said they were among the best muffins they’ve ever had and Kramer’s office seemed to enjoy them as well! They have big chunks of chocolate in them and the tops are sweet and crunchy thanks to a good sprinkling of raw sugar. These double chocolate chunk muffins aren’t even that complicated to put together! I hope you’ll give these a try and see for yourself. Recipe after the jump.

Melt together the butter and half of the chocolate. Set aside.

Combine the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.

Combine the egg and vanilla and buttermilk.

Beat in the flour mixture until just moistened, and then add the chocolate and butter mixture. Fold in the chocolate.

In a lined and/or greased pan, spoon about 1/4 cup of batter into each muffin cup.

Sprinkle a teaspoon or two of raw sugar over top of all of the muffins. Bake at 350 degrees F for about 20 minutes, until set.

Allow to cool completely before serving.

Enjoy!

Double Chocolate Chunk Muffins

Serves: 12 Muffins

• 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped (I used chocolate chunks in a bag and they worked great)
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • ⅔ cup sugar
  • ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • ½ teaspoon baking soda
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • 1¼ cups buttermilk
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • coarse/raw sugar (turbinado), for topping

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and line and/or spray the 12 molds in a regular-size muffin tin.
  2. Melt the butter and half the chopped chocolate together in a greased saucepan or a double boiler; or do this in a microwave (very carefully in 30 second intervals). Remove from the heat and set aside.
  3. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a large bowl, whisk the buttermilk, egg and vanilla extract together until well combined, then add in the chocolate and butter mixture. Mix in the flour mixture until just moistened. Don’t worry about being thorough — a few lumps are better than overmixing the batter. Fold in the remaining chopped chocolate.
  4. Scoop about ¼ cup of batter into each muffin tin and top with a teaspoon or two of raw sugar.
  5. Bake for 20 minutes, or until a thin knife inserted into the center of the muffins comes out clean. Transfer the pan to a rack and cool 5 minutes before carefully removing each muffin from its mold.

Adapted From

1. These look fantastic, and I can’t wait to make them! I’d like to feature them on my DyingforChocolate Blog. Please let me know if that’s o.k, and,of course, I’ll link to your blog.

2. Jen T. says:

Oh man, double chocolate are second favorite muffins- after chocolate chip… Hmm, I’m sensing a pattern. I usually can’t eat too many of them, so maybe I can drop them off at Mike’s and the boys will eat them! You rock Sydney!

3. Memoria says:

I want this right now. Ugh!

4. Jane M says:

I just baked these following the printed recipe and it says 1 egg…but when I just now went to look at that the pictures there are 2 eggs in the photo. My daughter tried 1 and said they were dry. I’m going to try 1 now. Oh well…

5. Carmen says:

It’s a beautiful thing! I can almost smell the chocolate…great pics!

6. Dyanna says:

Oh these look yummy! I think I’ll make them this weekend.

7. Coby says:

The raw sugar on the top looks like chips of golden topaz – really pretty!

8. Eric says:

I love baking cookies and muffins with turbinado. I’ve used it in place of white sugar when baking chocolate chip cookies, and it lends a surprising and delicate crunch an otherwise soft cookie. Not to mention they taste great.

9. duodishes says:

Definitely chocolate heaven there. The sugar on top is a nice bite!

10. Kelly says:

OMG! These look amazing; I can literally smell the chocolate!! And I LOVE the photos, great job. For similar intensely chocolaty recipes, visit Dove Chocolate Discoveries website. Yummy!

11. Heather E says:

great looking recipe! i might be baking these tomorrow…i only wish i had more people to bake for!

12. lululu says:

yummmm….. i can definitely hv more than one!

13. Marilee says:

I made these for my dark chocolate obsessed husband and they were wonderful. I used Valrhona cocoa powder as well as Valrhona 61% chocolate fêves — out of this world! Mr. Picky says this one’s a keeper. Thank you for posting it. :)

14. oneordinaryday says:

I made Dorie’s chocolate chunk muffins this week, but my photos were duds. Yours look awesome!

15. I have been CRAVING chocolate chip muffins.
    Need to buy a muffin tin.
    justalittlepiece.wordpress.com

16. Laura says:

I was going to make your Banana Cherry Chocolate Chunk Muffins the other day but my bananas weren’t ripe yet and I had everything on hand for these. I’m so glad I made these!!! So delicious. They came out beautifully and the sugar gave it a nice crunch. Yum! Thanks for the recipe.

17. Melanie says:

I just made these yesterday.
    They are SO good.
    I had to sort of make-shift the melted chocolate using: 2 squares of semi-sweet bakers chocolate and most of a bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips(the last handful was mixed into the batter) but they turned out great.

18. Sarah says:

I just made these this morning. I’m going over tonight to watch a football game at a friend’s house, and wanted to bring something to snack on that was sweet, but not too sweet. These fit the bill perfectly! I made mini-muffins instead of regular size (for better snacking), and cut the baking time down to 15 minutes to accomodate the smaller size, and they turned out great.

I still had some batter leftover after my mini-muffin tray was full, so I pulled out the regular size muffin tin and because I was in a mood to experiment, I put a spoonful of natural-style peanut butter in the middle of each one. It was DELIGHTFUL in every way. I want to eat them for every meal. (That seems healthy, right?)

19. Gloria says:

Hi, I just tried making these last night and they turned out to taste really great! But I was wondering, what’s the best way to keep them in good condition afterward? Also, since I’m new to baking, I was wondering: what is the purpose of buttermilk?

Thanks for the recipe post :)

20. Joyce says:

What’s a wonderful recipe !!! I so pround of my muffin last night and Great Taste. KISS KISS

21. thecrepesofwrath says:

Janet: Thank you and of course!

22. thecrepesofwrath says:

Jane: I doubled the recipe, there’s definitely only one egg in the original.

23. admin says:

Gloria: Buttermilk is a big tangier, it adds a little extra flavor and is a bit thicker and creamier than regular milk.