Garlic Beef & Green Beans

First of all, there’s some new developments on the site this week! My wonderful husband created a Recipe Index for me, so finding recipes on The Crepes of Wrath has never been easier. He’s also working on creating a link that you will be able to print directly from for all of the recipes, and I’ll let you know when that is up and running. We have to go back and edit every entry, so it will happen, but in due time. I also want to say that I’m sorry if I haven’t been responding to comments or e-mails as frequently as I normally would; I am finally employed, so I don’t have as much time to work on my site during the week anymore. I really love my new job! I’m really busy and everyone is being very patient with me as I learn the ropes around the office. I do have to leave the house at 6:45 AM to get there, though, and I don’t get home until 7 or 8 PM, depending on if I have things I need to do after work. I will be doing most of my commenting and whatnot during the weekends from this point on, so if I don’t get back to you immediately, don’t worry! I’ll be sure to respond by the following Sunday night.

Now, on to the good stuff: food! I made this for dinner last weekend and I couldn’t have been more pleased. I didn’t even realize how garlic-crazy I’ve been lately until I looked back at my most recent posts. I love garlic! It goes well with everything. Go ahead and try to think of something garlic isn’t a perfect companion for. You can’t! I always get some kind of garlic dish when I go out to eat if it’s available. One of my favorite things to get is garlic chicken with green beans at our favorite Chinese place in China Town. The sauce is sweet and savory, and goes great over some rice with the chicken and veggies. I wanted to try to recreate the dish at home, but I had beef on hand instead of chicken. I think that the restaurant might also have used something more like oyster sauce instead of what I used (hoisin sauce), but despite these differences, I really think that this garlic beef and green bean dish was out of this world. Kramer went back for seconds, which is always a good sign. I used sriracha (of course), but the dish wasn’t spicy at all; the sriracha just added a little depth of flavor and some extra garlicky-sweetness that it is known for. This is a pretty simple meal to make at home, too. You don’t need to fry anything and it only uses 2 pans, one of which can be really small because it only holds about a cup and a half of sauce. This sauce is absolutely delicious on its own and I was sure to scoop plenty of it onto my rice along with the beef and green beans. I cooked the beef at a high temperature very quickly, which helped to ensure that it was not overcooked and was perfectly tender. Of course, the meal wouldn’t have been the same without the sweet, crunchy green beans; they really are a wonderful spring and summer vegetable, and again, pair really well with the garlic sauce. I highly recommend trying this recipe out, especially if you don’t have a lot of experience cooking Asian food; this is a great place to start!

Heat 2 tablespoons of olive or peanut oil over high heat and add in your sliced steak. Cook for a few minutes until almost no longer pink, then set aside on a plate (don’t worry if it cools, it’ll heat back up when you add it back to the pan).

If you’ve got a lot of juices in the pan, drain off all but 1-2 tablespoons (depending on how much you have). Add in your diced onion and cook over medium-high heat for a few minutes, until softened.

Add in your green beans and 1/4 cup water if needed, just so the beans can steam. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring often.

Heat a tablespoon of olive or peanut oil in a small sauce pan and saute your garlic for three minutes or so over medium. Add in the rest of the sauce ingredients, stir to combine, then turn the heat up to medium-high and cook for another 3-5 minutes, until slightly thickened and bubbling.

Add the sauce to your beans and onions and cook for another 3 minutes over medium-high heat until bubbling.

Add the beef to the pan and cook for another 3 minutes or so until the beef is heated through.

Garlic Beef & Green Beans

Serves: 4

Garlic Beef
  • 2 tablespoons olive or peanut oil
  • 2 pounds sirloin/top round/filet/flank steak (whatever you have on hand), sliced into long, thin strips
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 1 pound green beans, cleaned and de-stemmed
  • ¼ cup water (if needed)
  • Rice, cooked according to package directions (for serving)
Sauce
  • 1 tablespoon olive or peanut oil
  • 6 cloves garlic, minced
  • ⅔ cup Hoisin sauce
  • 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
  • 1 to 2 teaspoons Sriracha (I used 2 teaspoons)
  • ⅓ cup water

1. Slice your beef into long, thin strips. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive or peanut oil in a large saute pan over high heat and add in your beef. Cook for 3-5 minutes, until almost completely cooked (it can still be a little pink, as it will continue to cook a bit on the plate) and remove with a slotted spatula onto a plate with paper towels so the juices drain a bit.
  2. Drain all but 2 tablespoons of juices out of your pan and add the diced onion. Cook for 5 minutes over medium-high heat until softened, then add in the cleaned and de-stemmed green beans. Add in ¼ cup of water, if needed (just enough so the beans can steam), and cook for 5 more minutes, stirring frequently.
  3. While you cook the onions and green beans, heat 1 tablespoon of olive or peanut oil in a small sauce pan over medium heat, then add in your minced garlic. Cook for 3 minutes, until fragrant, then add in the rest of the sauce ingredients. Stir to combine, then cook over medium-high heat for 3-5 minutes until bubbling and slightly thickened.
  4. Add the sauce to the pan with the onions and green beans and cook over medium-high heat until thickened a bit more (about 3 minutes). Add in the beef and cook until heated through (about 3 minutes). Serve over rice or more vegetables. Serves 4 (or serves 5 when served over rice).

1. Katy says:

Congratualtions on the job! And I have to tell you how pleased I am that you’re doing a link to print recipes. Literally two days ago, I was looking for a link to print out a recipe I liked on your blog. It’ll make things a little easier for everyone.

2. TabzChewy says:

Congrats on the new job!! I’m still job hunting myself, so feel free to pass any open positions my way! ;Db

Meanwhile, this dish makes me really crave beef and broccoli…

TabzChewy: Thanks! Godspeed in your search! My plan was beef and broccoli, but I had already done it on this site so I figured I should try something slightly different.

3. Kate says:

The recipe index is fantastic! And congrats on the new job!

4. Niamh says:

Congrats on the new job Sydney! And thanks for another delicious-looking recipe :)

5. Memoria says:

I love how you describe how each meal really tastes. You go into detail about every flavor and texture. This dish looks fantastic. Thanks to you, I now have almost every Asian seasoning and sauce available haha.

6. Chef Tony says:

Here’s a tip for cooking meats to their maximum tenderness. Slightly freeze then slice across the grain.

7. Tina says:

Congrats on your new job and all the new stuff going on here on your blog ! I wish you nothing but the best !!! Oh ya the Beef and Green Beans sounds like it will be a winner in this house. I’m gonna go check out that new recipe index!!!

8. Jessica says:

This looks delicious! It’s great that your hubby can help with things; the changes are looking good!

9. Kelsey says:

Thanks! It’s always a good sign if my husband goes back for seconds. I’m slowly getting him used to more gourmet flavors and spices. We put garlic in just about everything.

Kelsey: It’s tough to get picky eaters outside of their comfort zone! It can be done, though; when I first met my husband 6 years ago, he didn’t even eat Chinese food! Look at him, now!

10. karma says:

Awesome recipe! I used half the hoisin sauce (because I ran out) and it still was delicious. My 14 yr old son wanted seconds after his baseball game tonight it was so good.

Karma: I’m glad it was still tasty without all of the hoisin! It’s a pretty pungent sauce, so I’m sure half of it was fine. I’m also happy to hear that seconds were involved! :)

11. Juliana says:

Yummie, this beef with string beans look so yummie…I just want a bowl of white rice with it :-)

Your recipe index is awesome!

12. Lauren Gaw says:

Sydney, Congrats on the new job! What type of position do you have? You must be so busy balancing the new job with time at home and time spent on the blog. I too have been busy, too busy to blog myself or even check others blogs. I really love your photos of your finished food products, what photo techniques do you use? Do set up a special place to take the photos. The lighting and backgrounds are always polished and spot on! P.S I love the mix of personal stories mixed with the recipes. It makes it fun to read and is an interesting way to get to know you! My blog is still a work in progress, a mix of photos and rambling stories, I want to do a lot of work on it this summer!

Have a great weekend!

Lauren

Lauren: Thank you so much for all of the kind words! I really appreciate it. I’m busy but I’m enjoying it quite a bit! I have a special spot on my desk where I shoot my photos (a desk with a mirror that I also do my hair/make-up in front of every morning, haha) and a few lights with diffusers (AKA parchment paper over them) that help offset the harshness of the direct light. I’m glad you like the mixture of writing! Sometimes I feel like I’m rambling, too, so you probably aren’t! I hope you continue to read the site and I can’t wait to check out yours!

13. Rene Bergamino says:

Looks great. We have green beans that we sealed from last year that came out crisp. I’m going to make it. I have one problem. My meat comes out tough on many occasions. Is it the cut i’m purchasing?

Aunt Rene: It’s probably the cut, especially if you’re buying pre-cut meat. Another secret is to make sure that the meat isn’t overcrowded in the pan; when this happens, the meat “steams” instead of “browning”, which can lead to tough, chewy meat. Cook the meat in two batches if you need to, and just make sure to not overcook it. In this case especially, the meat will continue to cook a bit when it is removed from the pan, and since you add it back to the pan anyway, I always err on the side of caution and remove the meat when it’s just about cooked but not all the way cooked so that it remains tender.

14. genevieve says:

another great recipe! thanks Sydney! :)

15. Fred says:

Just found your beautiful blog. Since you are new to Brooklyn, try Juniors restaurant in the downtown area. They are known for their cheesecake. Whenever I am back in Brooklyn I stop there. Have been eating there cheesecake since the 1950′s!! We even make the cheesecake at home, it is worth the time and effort.
    I know your blog will become a favorite of mine. I cannot wait to try your receipes.
    Say hello to Brooklyn for me, I miss it!

Fred: I’ve been to Junior’s, but it’s SO expensive! I’m also closer to Williamsburg, so it’s a bit difficult to get to downtown since I have to go into the city then back again. Either way, though, Kramer and I always get a black and white cookie from them when we go to Grand Central Station on our way to visit family up north. Thanks for checking out my site and I’d love to see your Junior’s cheesecake recipe! :)

16. [...] Garlic Beef and Green Beans It’s a rare occasion when I eat meat (No pun intended). When I do indulge, I usually like it [...]

17. Alyssa P. says:

Wow, I was just recommended to your blog through a friend of mine and I’m so glad I “stopped by”. I made this for dinner last night and it was delicious AND looked pretty! I’ve been on the search for sometime now for something to spice of my recipe box. I cannot wait to try out more recipes! Thank you so much for sharing your creations!

18. [...] Gnocchi with Roasted Tomatoes and Fresh Basil in Garlic Cream Sauce from The Cooking Photographer, Garlic Beef & Green Beans from Crepes of Wrath, Fried Sweet Corn and Vidalia Onion Pie from Drick’s Rambling Cafe, [...]

19. Shina says:

I made this recipe for dinner and it was so easy and delicious! I even passed it along to my Facebook friends! Thank you for sharing your recipe’s!

20. [...] Garlic Chicken and Green Beans by Crepes of Wrath [...]

21. [...] came across a recipe for Garlic Beef and Green Beans on “The Crepes of Wrath”.  I decided to add my own little twist to it and voila!  This supper was such a hit, that I [...]

22. Tiffany says:

Thank you for this great recipe! My family was so happy with it! I made a few tweaks to suit what I had on hand. I have included this recipe on my blog at http://www.doomestic.com Thank you again so much!

23. Hi

[...]nevertheless sure many thanks regarding paying any time to talk about this kind of i find myself[...]