My Favorite Guacamole

I hope that everyone is as excited for the long weekend as I am! The weather is finally warming up here in New York, although it’s warming up a bit too fast, if you ask me! I was hoping for a little bit of 75 degree weather before we got into the mid-80s with high humidity. Hopefully it will rain just a little bit to relieve the humidity, but it seems that NYC only has extreme weather – either it’s storming like crazy, it’s freezing, or it’s sweltering. I suppose that’s that price one must pay to live in such a great city. Oh well – worth it! Kramer and I have some fun plans for our weekend, despite the heat. We’re going to go to Smorgasburg on Saturday, try to go see The Tree of Life, and do a little Brooklyn-apartment-style cook-out on Sunday or Monday. What are your plans for the first summer holiday of the season?

If you are having any sort of get together this weekend, don’t forget to make some guacamole! I can’t think of a single person who doesn’t love guacamole, and I don’t blame them. There’s nothing like a big, crunchy, salty tortilla chip topped with plenty of freshly made guac! Traditionally, guacamole is made with red onions, but I am a shallot person, through and through, so I used those instead, and they added a level of buttery, savory goodness that just can’t be beat. I also love to play with texture when I make guac, so I mashed half of the avocados and cubed the other half, so it’s not just a bowl of mush – you can tell it’s avocado! Other than that, we’ve got the other basic ingredients: cilantro, a jalapeño pepper, plenty of lime juice, tomatoes, salt, and pepper. This can easily be made ahead and it’s not just for chips. You can use it to top tacos, burritos, salads, sandwiches, and even burgers! The possibilities are truly endless. Have a great weekend and enjoy your guacamole!

Your ingredients. I forgot to get fresh tomatoes (of course), so I used canned and they worked just as well.

Mince your shallots, garlic, and jalapeño pepper.

Add in your tomato and minced cilantro, then scoop out the entire flesh of 2 avocados. Mash it up with the other ingredients and squeeze the juice of half a lime over everything.

Now dice your other 2 avocados by cutting criss-cross lines in their “shell”, leaving the skin intact so that you can simply scoop the avocado out.

Mix everything together, squeeze the remaining half of a lime’s juice over everything, add salt and pepper to taste, and serve.

My Favorite Guacamole

Serves: 6-8

• 4 ripe avocados
  • 2 large shallots, minced
  • 3 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 jalapeño, diced
  • 2 tomatoes, diced (or 7 ounces canned diced tomatoes, drained)
  • ⅔ cup cilantro, roughly chopped
  • juice of 1 lime
  • salt and pepper, to taste

1. Dice your shallots, garlic, and jalapeño and place in a large bowl. Toss with the diced tomatoes and cilantro. Cut two of the avocados in half, remove the pit, and simply scoop the flesh out into the bowl. Squeeze half of a lime over everything, and mash the avocado with the other ingredients. Now, for texture, you are going to cube the other 2 avocados. Cut them in half, remove the pit, and cut lines into the avocado vertically and horizontally, while keeping the skin in tact. Now, use a spoon and scoop the cubes out into the bowl. Squeeze the other half of the lime over it all, add salt and pepper to taste, and mix it all together, being careful not to mash the cubed avocado too much, as they add a nice texture against the mashed avocado. Serve with tortilla chips, on tacos, or even on a salad.
  2. *This guacamole can be made up to 4 hours ahead of time, and stored in an airtight container in the fridge. If you do this, squeeze a little extra lime juice over everything before storing it, to keep the avocado from going brown.

1. We are guacamole fiends at my house! My wife and I have probably tried a half dozen recipes this year alone. Sometimes I like my guac to be spicy, other times I like the creaminess that comes from mixing in some sour cream. Gonna have to try this one next :)

Isn’t this weather great? We’re in NJ and so glad all that rain is finished. Since we have a new baby we won’t be hosting any parties, so no cooking for me – just lot’s of eating! Will Kramer be manning the grill? Hope you have a great weekend!

Chris: I wish we had a grill! I’m afraid to get one because I’m not sure if it’s illegal to have one on our balcony or not. We might get a small one for the summer because turning on the oven in an NYC apartment during that time of year is brutal! I hope you and your family enjoy some much deserved time together this weekend!

2. Rachael says:

Loooooooooooooooooooooooooove guacamole. Can you believe I have *Californian born and raised* friends that don’t like this wonderful dip? Shame on them.

3. Alex says:

I HAVE to make this. I’ve made guac countless times but it’s enver looked that good. I like the idea of adding a bit of jalapeno – adds some zing!

@Alex: My thoughts exactly! :)

@Aimee: I hope you had a fabulous weekend, too!

@Casey: That’s genius – I’ll definitely be doing that next time!

@Lizzie: Anything to get your daily guac intake! ;)

@Anthony: Me too – I will and do put guacamole on almost everything when it is available to me. I don’t get the avocado haters – it’s the butter of vegetables!

@Allison: That’s nuts! I’m probably going to go again next weekend – see you there?

@Michelle: Thank you!

4. Aimee says:

Thankfully I picked up some avocados yesterday so I’ll be making this tonight. Thanks for the recipe! Have a great weekend!

5. Casey says:

My husband and I make guac all the time. We have figured out a way to keep it from browning for even longer, we squeeze lime juice and then put plastic wrap right on top and then no air comes in contact with the avacado! Works so well. That way if we don’t eat it all its still good to go tomorrow! Love the shallot idea!

6. Lizzie in Los Angeles says:

Hoo-boy that looks lush!! But I’m skipping the chips for a while, and have found that guac on cucumber slices gets the job done!!

• Michele says:

I use cucumbers, plus a little sea salt, as well! Works great! @Sydney, Can’t wait to try it with shallots. I eat avocado EVERY day, if I can.

I love guacamole; I could eat a whole bowl of it by itself. And it seems to be one of those dishes, like chili, that everyone likes to argue over whose recipe it best. Can you believe there are some people in the world who don’t like avocados? I know, it’s like the guy said in Princess Bride: “Inconceivable!” :)

8. allison says:

woah weird i was at Smorgasburg on Saturday and i saw Tree of Life, too.

bizarro

9. I love guacamole and it’s just perfect for the summer. This recipe looks fantastic!

10. allison says:

i will be there again! i want to take my little sister. and get more tacos.
    you can’t miss me, i’ll have tattoos of leaves on my arm. but then again it is Williamsburg, so i might blend in really well.

11. Marie says:

I just want you to know that this is the first guacamole recipe I’ve seen online (and I look at TONS of different blogs all the time) that I’m willing to try other than my own. It’s so innovative and refreshing to see changes such as the shallots or the dicing/mashing combo with the avocado! I am dead set against onion in guacamole, but shallots are a totally different flavor. Yum! I just found your blog today and I am definitely gonna subscribe! Thanks :)

12. Christine says:

Love this recipe- I create a similar recipe. But when I have LOTS of guests over (Football Sundays…) I actually will mash the avocados more and add some sour cream to make a larger batch!

13. [...] Don’t worry, all it necessitates is a little bit of chopping, smushing, and mixing. We love this recipe from blog Crepes of Wrath, which subs shallots instead of the requisite white onion for an extra touch of sharp sweetness. [...]