Yesterday was officially the first day of summer, so what better way to celebrate than by combining two of my favorite summer treats: watermelon and margaritas! Kramer and I have been devouring at least one watermelon a week between the two of us, and I don’t think I’m going to get sick of it any time soon. Every year when watermelon season ends, I get a little depressed, thinking about how I will have to wait another year for what I believe to be the most delicious of fruits. Watermelon truly does taste like candy…so why not add a little tequila to it? These are some of the most refreshing margaritas I’ve ever had, and hey, since watermelon is, in fact, mostly water, you can hydrate while you drink! I’ve solved two of your problems right there for you: drinking enough water and finding a simple cocktail to make on hot summer days. You’re welcome, world. It’s easy to whip up a pitcher of these for backyard get togethers, or, in our case, small Brooklyn balcony get togethers. Happy Summer!
- 1½ cups pureed watermelon
- juice of 2 limes
- 1½ ounces triple sec
- 6 ounces tequila
- dash of simple syrup (optional)
- ice, for shaking and for the glass
- salt (I like to use fleur de sel, but kosher salt will do), for the rim
- I pureed my watermelon in my food processor, but a blender or even an immersion blender can do the trick. Add the pureed watermelon, lime juice, triple sec, tequila, and a dash of simple syrup, if you like, to your mixer. Drop in a few ice cubes and shake for 30 seconds. Wipe the rim of each glass with a wedge of watermelon, then dip the edges in your salt and fill with 2 ice cubes each. Strain the drinks into the glasses and garnish with small watermelon wedge or a slice of lime.