Oeufs en Cocotte

I made these oeufs en cocotte for breakfast on Sunday morning after the storm had mostly passed. I gathered some extra supplies on Saturday morning, before the city basically shut down. I wanted to do a lot of cooking, since we’d be stuck inside, and I definitely wanted to make a big, delicious breakfast. My aunt sent me these little Staub cocottes as a house warming present earlier this year when we moved, and I always love having a reason to break them out because they are so adorable. This dish is certainly the thing to have on a lazy Sunday morning, or even for dinner, if you are so inclined. I made some crispy bacon, sauteed some shallots, and cooked up some giant mushrooms, piled them all on the bottom of each dish, topped them with cheese, cream, and scallions, then topped that with two eggs, and again, added a bit of cheese on top. Bake it all up for about 20 minutes, serve with some toast, and you’ve got yourself one indulgent little bowl that is sure to satisfy any cravings and cure any hangovers. Kramer even went back for seconds, and couldn’t stop praising me for one hell of a breakfast. There’s nothing I love more than Sunday morning meals in the comfort of my own home, and these oeufs en cocotte are the way to do that Sunday morning right.

Dice your bacon and cook until crispy.

Set aside to drain on a paper towel.

Cook your shallots in the bacon grease until translucent, about 5 minutes, then set aside with the bacon.

Cook the mushrooms in the same pan, adding a bit of butter just before they are finished.

Butter the insides of your cocottes or ramekins.

Divid the combined shallots, bacon, mushrooms, and rosemary between each dish.

Add in the cream, cheese, and most of the scallions.

Crack the eggs on top.

Then sprinkle with a bit more grated cheese.

Place the cocottes or ramekins in a large pan filled up halfway with boiling water. Place in a 375 degree F oven for 15-20 minutes, until the yolks are still runny and the whites are cooked.

Top with some extra rosemary and scallions, and serve with some toast.

Don’t forget to crack a little fresh black pepper over the top.

Oeufs en Cocotte

Serves: 4

• 6 slices of bacon, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 shallot, minced
  • 6-8 large mushrooms, quartered
  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
  • 1 tablespoon heavy cream
  • 2 sprigs fresh rosemary leaves, minced (1/2 for the mushrooms/shallots, ½ for topping)
  • 2 scallions, minced (reserve a few pinches for garnish)
  • ⅓ cup grated cheese, plus more for topping
  • 8 eggs
  • fresh cracked pepper, for topping
  • toast, for serving

1. Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet. Add in the diced bacon and cook over medium-high heat until crisp, about 5-8 minutes. Remove the bacon from the pan with a slotted spatula and place on a plate lined with a paper towel to drain. Add the minced shallots to the hot pan with bacon grease, reduce the heat to medium, and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Place the shallots in another small bowl or on the plate with the bacon. Wipe out most of the grease, then add in the mushrooms and cook over medium heat for 3-5 minutes, until they start to release their juices. Add in a tablespoon of butter and cook until the mushrooms are tender, about another 3 minutes. Place the mushrooms in another bowl or on the plate with the shallots and bacon. Set aside.
  2. Butter the insides of 4 cocottes or oven-proof ramekins. Combine the bacon, shallot, and mushrooms and toss with half of your minced rosemary. Divide the bacon, shallot, and mushroom mixture among the the 4 dishes. Divide the 1 tablespoon of cream among the 4 dishes, then the ⅓ cup of cheese among the 4 dishes. Sprinkle a few scallions over the top of the cheese, then crack 2 eggs into each dish. Top with a bit more grated cheese.
  3. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F. Fill a pan big enough to fit the 4 cocottes or oven-proof ramekins in with water, enough that the water will reach the halfway point of each cocotte or ramekin. Bring the water to a boil over high heat on the stove, then gently place each cocotte or ramekin in the water. Very carefully place the water-filled pan with the 4 dishes in it into the oven, and bake for 15-20 minutes, until the whites of the eggs are set and the yolk is still runny. If your oven isn’t quite as powerful, remove the dishes from the water filled pan and place in the oven alone for the last 5-8 minutes.
  4. Crack fresh pepper over the top, then sprinkle with a bit of the remaining scallions and rosemary. Place each cocotte or ramekin on a plate, as they will be very hot, and serve with a piece of toast.

1. Kaitlyn says:

This looks delicious and is definitely something I want to try when I’m around a stove again. (Ahh, college!) I wanted to ask, is there a specific cheese that you recommend for the dish? From the pictures it looks like parmesan perhaps, but I wanted to be sure so that I get the taste right when I do try this.

@Kaitlyn: Well, I had some white cheddar that I wanted to use up, so I used that inside of the dish, then I grated a little granda padano on top, which is a lot like Parmesan. It’s really about using whatever you have!

2. Stacey Evans says:

I am going to try this next weekend for Pete and I another dish that looks absolutely amazing. Thanks for sharing.

@Stacey: Thank you so much!

@Anthony: It’s a tough choice, I know ;)

@Aimee: Honestly, use whatever you like! I used aged white cheddar and grada padano.

I’m not sure which I like better: the recipe or those little cocottes. :)

4. Aimee says:

What kind of cheese did you use?

5. Aarthi says:

this is so delicious…I love it..Thanks for the recipe…

6. I, too, loved staying in this weekend to do nothing but cook, drink and watch TV!

7. This looks like such a tasty, and pretty, breakfast! And of course, bonus points for using bacon!
    Glad you guys survived the hurricane alright, and with no loss of power. We got by with no damage, flooding, or power outages in our town here in NJ, but many peoples homes were flooded from the rising rivers. We should all be thankful this wasn’t any worse than it was.

@Chris: I hope you had a fun day not having to be at work! :) Bacon is the food of the gods, isn’t it?

@Jane: I’m so sorry to hear about that! I know it’s pretty rough over in your neck of the woods – I hope you’re safe and that you have power by now!

@Christine: I’m glad you guys enjoyed your weekend – it was a lot more fun for us NYC people than the rest of the coast, it seems!

@J: Thanks for the tip!

@Alena: They’re one of the most memorable gifts I’ve received, that’s for sure.

8. Jane M says:

Sadly we lost power on Sunday at 3am and don’t know when we’ll ever get power again! WE see no trucks and a tree fell down across our street blocking us from driving down our dead end street. No one from our town came so the neighbors had to chop down the tree which is now all over the street. It’s quite dangerous – no lights at night and nothing to do. I’d love to be able to cook – well I can turn on my gas stove, and we put ice in our fridge – but honestly it’s gotten very old now. We also have some water in our basement – which we can’t use our wet vac to get it to go away! so we are plugged in at our JCC for now to recharge our computers and phones. We are thinking of downloading a movie to watch later when it gets dark (8pm). AAAAAAAAAH! I hate #Irene!

9. Those are absolutely freaking adorable. Perfect for a post-hurricane breakfast fest! We had the same ritual last winter (after the oh-s0-many snow days), a prize for having survived the elements in our cozy apartment. You’re right, this weekend was very relaxing. I stocked up on ingredients Saturday morning, baked all night, and watched movies while scarfing down fistfuls of popcorn with Mike, the dog, and my sister passed out with a pillow on the floor. It was pretty awesome. Glad you guys are safe, too! Enjoy the gorgeous weather this week :)

10. J says:

this looks derricious. if you’re looking for a slightly healthier alternative that somewhat resembles ouefs en cocotte have a look at this… http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_steamed_eggs

11. [...] I survived the hurricane! Surprise, surprise, right? Thankfully, Irene didn’t hit us too badly this weekend, but if it had, New York was ready for it! It was kind of fun, having the subways shut down and hanging out at home, cooking, drinking, and sitting down for TV and movie marathons with Kramer. I’d even go as far as to say that it was a relaxing weekend in our little apartment, watching the trees whip around in the wind and predicting when we would lose power (we didn’t lose it at all, in the end). The subways and buses are back in service, so today is just another day for us. It’s actually quite beautiful outside – very sunny and clear, and under 80 degrees F, but of course, I’ll be spending the day inside at work. It’s better than being stuck at home without power or running water, though! I hope everyone who was really hit with the hurricane is doing alright and that their respective cities are up and running soon. Read more [...]

12. Glad you made it through the storm! I’m sure having an excuse to stay inside was super nice :) These look absolutely delicious and those cute, little Staub pots are adorable – such a great idea as a gift!

13. Kim says:

This – oh my, this is going to be dinner tonight. And I even have all the ingredients, plus some fresh breakfast sausage to add to the bacon. Thanks, Sydney!

14. Simone says:

I love those little cocottes! I have a few of them as well and try to use them as often as I can. I just discovered your blog through foodingdo.. and love it! Glad to hear that Irene passed you by for the most part. It must have been freaky to have the entire city so quiet… I’m sure that normally never happens!

@Simone: It was so strange – my husband and I just sat out on our balcony for a bit watching the nothingness. I’ve never seen the world seem so deserted!

15. Hi! OMG this is literally the cutest thing I have ever seen! And it looks so delish! I need to get those little pans… so cute!