Sourdough Breakfast Pizza

This was such a gorgeous weekend in New York – so what better reason to make some pizzas? As you may know, Kramer and I are obsessed with our sourdough starter. We have been enjoying all sorts of sourdough treats in our apartment recently. We made our first sourdough pizza last week, and now, this sourdough breakfast pizza may be one of my favorite things ever. I love fried eggs on just about anything – I firmly believe that a fried egg can improve almost any savory dish out there, and this pizza is no exception. The crust is beautifully crisp with a slight sourdough bite, and the eggs are just slightly runny and provide a great sauce to dip your crust in. I added cherry tomatoes, some fresh basil, sliced chives, and of course, thick chunks of crispy bacon – all of the elements in the perfect breakfast. Kramer and I are big fans of breakfast for dinner, so why not have dinner for breakfast with this sourdough breakfast pizza?

ingredients

bacon1
I used this amazing bacon.

bacon2

bacon3
Dice your bacon and fry it until crisp over medium-high heat.

bacon4

dough1
Shape your pizza dough (again, you can find the sourdough pizza dough recipe here).

dough2

dough3
Drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.

dough5
Add your shredded mozzarella cheese, halved cherry tomatoes, and crisped bacon. Bake at your oven’s highest temperature (ours is 550 degrees F) for 3 minutes, then crack the eggs on top and bake for an additional 7-9 minutes, until the crust is golden, the cheese is bubbling, and the eggs are cooked.

pizza3

pizza7

Sourdough Breakfast Pizza

Serves: 2

• 425 grams bread flour
  • 255 grams warm water (110 degrees F)
  • 60 grams of 50% hydration fed sourdough starter*
  • 6.50 grams kosher salt
  • 4.5 grams (about 1 teaspoon) granulated sugar
  • 8.5 grams (about 1¾ teaspoons) olive oil
  • .065 grams (about 1 teaspoon) active dry yeast
  • semolina flour, for dusting
  • 1-2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, per pizza
  • ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese, per pizza
  • 5-6 halved cherry tomatoes, per pizza
  • ¼ cup crisped bacon, per pizza
  • ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese, per pizza
  • 3 eggs, per pizza
  • fresh basil, sliced thinly, for garnish
  • chives, sliced thinly, for garnish
  • *We bought our starter from King Arthur Flour. We followed the instructions provided by King Arthur to feed it. This resulted in a 50% hydration starter.

1. First of all, be sure to weigh all of your ingredients. You can buy a cheap digital scale at almost any store and it’s worth the purchase in order to make perfect pizza crust.
  2. Mix together the starter, sugar, water (the temperature of the water should be 110 degrees F), and oil in a large bowl. In the bowl of your food processor, pulse together the bread flour and salt. Slowly add the water and starter mixture to the food processor with the flour and salt. Pulse for 30 seconds, or until the dough comes together as a ball. Lightly flour your work surface (and I mean lightly!) and knead the dough one or two times, until when you stretch it, you can see through it, otherwise known as a window pane.
  3. Form two balls, about 375 grams each, and place in two separate containers – we used plastic containers that we saved from when we had soup delivered from our favorite Chinese restaurant, so just about anything that seals will do – and seal. Place the containers in the refrigerator and allow to rest overnight.
  4. When the dough is ready, remove it from the refrigerator and bring it to room temperature – this will take about 30 minutes. When the dough is room temperature, form each ball of dough into perfect looking balls by tucking the dough back into itself (see photos above). Place the dough in two separate, non-reactive, well oiled bowls, cover lightly with a clean cloth, and allow to rise for 1 hour. After your first hour, remove the dough, fold and tuck the dough into itself again, then place back in the bowl to rise again for 1 more hour.
  5. While your pizza dough rises, crisp up your bacon. Dice 4-5 slices of bacon and cook in a frying pan over medium high heat, until crisp. Set aside on paper towels to drain.
  6. Now you are ready to form your pizzas. Preheat your oven with the stone in it to its highest baking temperature – ours gets up to 550 degrees F. Lightly sprinkle your work surface with semolina flour. You can use cornmeal, if you like, but semolina is much finer, and therefore has a much more pleasant texture. Begin by flattening the dough with your fingers and slowly working it into a disk. After you get the pie to about 6 inches in diameter, pick it up and begin stretching it by draping the dough over the tops of your knuckles, pulling your hands apart, and rotating.
  7. Dust your pizza peel with semolina flour and place your pie near the front edge of it. Make any final adjustments to the shape and then drizzle with olive oil, then top with the grated Parmesan cheese. Top with the halved cherry tomatoes, crisped bacon, and shredded mozzarella cheese. Bake for 3 minutes or so, then pull the pizza out, crack the eggs on top, and finish baking for 7-9 minutes, until the cheese is bubbling, the crust is golden, and the eggs are set. Top the pizza with the sliced chives and basil, slice, and serve.

1. This looks wonderful! I love “breakfast pizza.”

2. Lee says:

What would you suggest as a good substitute for the bacon? My family doesn’t enjoy bacon (it baffles me how this is even possible).

3. Alice says:

I love your blog and so does my boyfriend. Most of our meals come from here. We too, love pizza and breakfast. I have never thought to combine the two. Sounds great can’t wait to try it!

Last year, I took a year off from college and went to culinary school. I loved the pastry class when we made pizza the whole day. It was amazing and delicious. I noticed the you add you salt to your flour and then add the yeast and water. Our pastry chefs cautioned us of this because the salt can kill the yeast.

That’s good to know – I’ve never been to a single cooking class, so I’ve never heard that – thanks for the tip! I’m glad you like the site :)

I love breakfast and I love pizza, but never thought of a genuine “breakfast pizza” before (as opposed to cold pizza leftovers…). This looks brilliant. :)

5. Stacy says:

Do you deliver?!?

6. sara says:

YUM! This pizza looks super tempting. Definitely want to give breakfast pizza a try as I’ve never made it at home.

7. You guys are seriously killing me with these pizza posts (keep em coming!)

8. 99% sure I’m gonna get that starter… How big a pain is it to keep alive? Only plants in our house are cactus and aloe, otherwise they get neglected and die ;)

9. What a fantastic idea! I love sourdough. Sadly, I ‘lost’ my 18 year old starter and my 2 attempts to make a new starter failed miserably. I really need to try again tho and make this pizza!

10. MichellePC says:

Breakfast + pizza = bliss. This looks great!

11. Anna says:

Breakfast is an important meal that should never be skipped. It brings back our metabolism after an overnight fast. In my quest to becoming healthier, I have sworn never again to skip breakfast…I wouldn’t skip it if this is what’s waiting for me!!! Thanks for this magnificent morning treat!

12. [...] This was such a gorgeous weekend in New York – so what better reason to make some pizzas? As you may know, Kramer and I are obsessed with our sourdough starter. We have been enjoying all sorts of sourdough treats in our apartment recently. We made our first sourdough pizza last week, and now, this sourdough breakfast pizza may be one of my favorite things ever. Read more [...]

13. I am SO thankful to Katrina from Daily Unadventures in Cooking for putting this on facebook. I clicked over here right away because I’m all about breakfast at any time of the day. We’re also in pizza mode these days so I’m adding this to the list. Now I need to go get the recipe for that sourdough crust. It looks amazing.

14. I wonder why stores sell perfectly round pizzas when these look better….

15. Dave says:

If, say, I were to want to bring a breakfast pizza to a friends house or a brunch gathering … fearing the runny eggs would not travel well, do you think hard boiled eggs would work? Sliced or chopped up?

Also, I’ve been toying with the idea of a breakfast pizza for quite some time. Your post has given me that extra push to make it happen. Thanks!

I think sliced would be pretty! You could also just cook them a bit more and they will harden on the pizza (maybe put them on right when you put the pizza in the oven instead of waiting) and you will still have the “sunny side up” look.

• Dave says:

I’ve already told my wife and kids that this will be for breakfast on Saturday. Well I told the kids (who are pizza fanatics) that there will be a surprise for breakfast. Should be pretty awesome. Thanks again!

16. Aubrey says:

What a gorgeous pizza! I love eggs on pizza as long as they’re a little runny, I bet they’re fantastic with juicy cherry tomatoes and chunks of bacon.

17. Hey Sydney,

Runny eggs and rustic non round pizza crust. Yeah!! Your fantastic recipe has been choosen and we’ve created a guessing game with the ingredients. Congrats on being selected!! :)

You can view the game here –> http://www.knapkins.com/guess_games/240?source=blog

18. […] the idea of sourdough breakfast pizza. I can’t wait to try pizza dough with my […]