JJ’s Diner Belgian Waffles

Kramer and I are huge Parks and Recreation fans; everything about that show is incredible. All of the characters are so well done, and most importantly, Leslie Knope is the most positive female figure on television right now. She’s strong, she’s independent, she knows what she wants, and she’s not afraid to eat! I love hearing her rave about her love of food and rant about her hatred of salads – she is truly a woman after my own heart (and Kramer’s too). Therefore, I decided to pay tribute to the goddess that is Leslie Knope (and, in turn, the lovely and influential Amy Poehler) with some JJ’s Diner inspired Belgian waffles. As JJ once said about Leslie, “[She's] my best customer. [She] spent over a thousand dollars last year on waffles alone.” JJ’s Diner is Leslie’s favorite restaurant, and she always orders waffles with extra, extra whipped cream whenever she goes. I like to think that JJ makes waffles almost identical to these, and the secret to their deliciousness lies in a simple twist: browned butter. They add a bit of depth to your ordinary Belgian waffle, but I suppose that any waffle is irresistible with plenty of maple syrup, fruit, and whipped cream on top. Kramer and I can’t wait to make these again and again, in honor of our favorite politician, Miss Leslie Knope.

tumblr_lqo8cw9hvG1qfmoe0o1_500
A few words of wisdom from our friend Leslie Knope.

BelgianWaffles-1

BelgianWaffles-2
Brown your butter, then whisk it together with the yeast, sugar, warm water, flour, milk, and eggs. Allow to sit overnight at room temperature.

BelgianWaffles-3
Whisk together the eggs and baking soda, then whisk them into your batter.

BelgianWaffles-5
Add your batter to your heated waffle maker, and cook according to the manufacturer’s instructions.

BelgianWaffles-4
I cooked my waffles for about 3 minutes each.

BelgianWaffles-10
Serve with plenty of your favorite toppings.

BelgianWaffles-12
Oh yeah, that’s the stuff.

JJ’s Diner Belgian Waffles

Serves: 6-8

• 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, browned
  • ½ cup warm water (about 110 degrees F)
  • 3 teaspoons granulated sugar
  • 2¼ teaspoons (1 packet) active dry yeast
  • 2 cups milk, room temperature
  • 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 2 large eggs, room temperature
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • ¼ teaspoon baking soda
  • maple syrup, for serving
  • whipped cream, for serving (optional, but I highly recommend it)
  • fruit, for serving

1. First, brown your butter. Place your butter in a small pot and cook over medium heat, stirring often, for 8-10 minutes, until it’s an amber color with a nutty fragrance. Allow to cool to at least room temperature before adding to the batter (if you don’t, the batter will curdle when the hot butter hits the cool milk, so don’t say I didn’t warn you).
  2. In a large bowl, sprinkle the yeast and sugar over the warm water, and allow to sit for 5 minutes or so, until foaming. Whisk in the milk, then the cooled butter, then gently whisk in the flour and salt until just combined. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and allow to sit overnight on the counter.
  3. In the morning (or at night, because hey, waffles make a perfectly good dinner), whisk together the eggs with the baking soda, then whisk them into the batter until well combined. Heat your waffle maker according to the manufacturer’s directions.
  4. Add the recommended amount to the hot waffle maker (mine is a large Belgian waffle maker and I used about ¾ cup of batter for each waffle – the first one is always a test waffle and something for the chef to snack on while the rest of the waffles cook, though; remember that). My waffles took about 3 minutes in total – you want them to be golden and slightly crispy. You can preheat your oven to 250 degrees F to keep your other waffles warm until they are all done, then drizzle with plenty of maple syrup, whipped cream, and fruit, like sliced strawberries and blueberries.

1. Emily D. says:

This is beautiful.
    Just make sure if you have coffee with them it has at least 1/2 cup of whipped cream in it as well.

2. Megan says:

I love her even more now. Yesterday I was totally thinking about getting a waffle tattoo based on my love for them.

3. aarthi says:

awesome waffles…love to have it for breakfast

4. Rhonda says:

The waffles look awesome. I don’t watch much tv but everyone says I need to check that show out.

5. Heidi says:

Awesome! I love P&R and Leslie!! These waffles look FAB.

6. Ama says:

What a wonderful idea! I truly love that show, and every time I see Leslie eating JJ’s waffle’s on P&R I always get quite the waffle hankering.

7. Sarah says:

Love this idea! I’m a big Parks & Rec fan as well, and it would be so fun to cook a corresponding dinner one Thursday night! Great recipe.

8. Maureen says:

Sadly Parks and Rec isn’t on tv in Australia so I’ll have to wing it and just say that these waffles look fantastic! I’m sure they’re better with the tv show but I’m willing to give it a try solo. :)

9. Deanna B says:

I just started watching Parks and Rec on Netflix and so far I love it. I also love that you made yeast risen waffles. And used brown butter. Browned butter makes everything better.

10. Hannah says:

“There is no food finer then JJ’s Diner.” Favourite show! I was so excited when I saw the title of these waffles. Mind blowing.

11. I am hysterical laughing at the pile of whipped cream on top of those badass waffles. Every time Leslie pours chocolate syrup and mounds of RediWhip into her coffee, it just makes me happy inside. I was JUST (as in four minutes ago) watching the episode when Chris tries to make Ron more “accessible” to the public by giving him a circular desk… and that lady runs laps around it while he swivels away from her complaint about infectious sprinkler water. I can’t stop laughing. I love that you love browned butter waffles, and I love that you and Kramer love Leslie Knope! High five.

12. Corey says:

One of my favorite hip hop artists did a short Parks and Rec EP with some pretty great tracks. Every Parks and Rec fan I’ve played it for has loved it.

13. Tracy A. says:

Your photos are mouth watering!

14. Maida says:

Amen sister! LOVE this post!!!

15. liz says:

All I can say about these waffles is “treat yo-self.”
    Fantastic show and a fantastic post!

16. Yes!!! Love this show! Love the waffles. Great idea!

17. mmmmm waffles!! i love them! i have never thought of using yeast in my waffles! good call to make sure theyre super fluffy!

18. Minnie says:

I see vanilla extract in the ingredients list but don’t see when it should be added in. Help? Looks delicious!

19. […] and I can’t wait to serve it up on the big day next week. I made my own Belgian waffles from this recipe, then chopped them up, toasted them, and combined them with what I consider to be the […]

20. […] Original recipe found here. […]

21. absolutely by far the most delicious waffle recipe to date! Treat yo self!