Hen of the Woods Frittata

Kramer and I leave for Portland tomorrow! Neither of us have ever been to Portland, so we are really excited. It’s so hot and muggy and absolutely miserable in the city right now, that a short reprieve is all that we can think about as we sweat the days away. I can’t wait to see green trees, smell fresh air, and drink beers cheaper than $8 a pint. That’s the life. We’re staying with an old friend of ours who moved out there from Phoenix, so it’ll be a small reunion, and best of all, he just got a dog. I have already warned him to prepare for his dog to love me more than him – it’s nothing dogs can help, I just have a natural gift. We’ll be sticking to Portland proper, as we’re only there a few days, but please tell me what we should do there. Favorite restaurants? Bars? Attractions? I know that we are supposed to go river tubing, but which river is best? I want all the hot gossip, people, so let me have it.

This is the perfect quick Sunday breakfast, made with the world’s best mushrooms, hen of the woods. In Japan, they are called maitake, which means “dancing mushroom” – clearly the most adorable name for a mushroom, ever. I love these mushrooms not only for their beauty, but for how incredibly delicious they are. They are delicate, but still have a hearty, earthy flesh that is perfect for picking up tons of flavor and sauteing just a bit in some butter. I used garlic scapes for this, too, although they may be out of season at this point, so go ahead and use scallions, or even leeks, in their place. This frittata only took about 25 minutes from start to finish, so Kramer and I were able to wake up and eat almost immediately, which is extremely important after a late night, wouldn’t you agree? I hope that everyone has a great 4th of July, and if you party too hard, this is just the thing to get you going the morning after

Frittata-1

Frittata-2
Place your mushrooms in a dry cast iron pan over medium heat, and allow them to sweat and brown a bit before adding your scallions and butter. Cook until the mushrooms are tender, about 5-8 minutes.

1 2

Add your beaten eggs to the pan.

Frittata-5
Cook for a few minutes in the pan, running your spatula through it a bit to allow the eggs on top to to fall through into the bottom of the pan. After about 3 minutes, place the pan in the oven at 450 degrees F for 4-5 minutes, until cooked through.

Frittata-6

Frittata-11
Slice and serve!

Hen of the Woods Frittata

Serves: 2-3 servings

An easy breakfast made with eggs, hen of the woods mushrooms, and other veggies.
  • 2 cups hen of the woods mushrooms (or any other mushrooms that you have)
  • 2 garlic scapes, green stalks only, thinly sliced (feel free to substitute scallions)
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 6-7 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1 large sweet pepper, thinly sliced
  • 1 avocado, thinly sliced (for garnish)

1. Preheat your oven to 450 degrees F. Clean your mushrooms gently with a wet cloth (rinsing mushrooms under running water can often ruin their flavor) and remove any large bits of dirt. Roughly chop them, if needed, but try to keep them in larger pieces. Heat a cast iron skillet (or another 10-inch skillet) over medium-high heat and add in the mushrooms, stirring every so often, allowing them to sweat a bit and release their natural juices.
  2. After the mushrooms have browned a bit, reduce the heat to medium and add in the butter and thinly sliced scapes (or scallions). Cook for another 5-8 minutes or so, until the mushrooms are tender and the scapes are fragrant. Add in the beaten eggs, and cook for another 3-5 minutes, until the bottom of the frittata has solidified. You can use your spatula to cut through the bottom of the frittata to allow the top of the eggs to cook through.
  3. When the frittata looks nearly done, but not quite, place it in the oven for 2-3 minutes, until the top has cooked. Be sure to keep a close eye on it in the oven, as it will cook quickly. Remove from the oven, cut into wedges, and serve immediately with a slice or two of avocado.

1. Bryan says:

You may want to skip the tubing, as it is not very hot at the moment and those rivers are all snow melt-which means they are icy!
    A few restaurants to try-Laurelhurst Market, Toro Bravo, Sunshine Tavern & Pho An(get the #1). I’m sure your friends have a good list of places to visit as well, it’s hard not to have favorites in this town.
    Enjoy your stay.

• Anonymous says:

I agree Bryan, Toro Bravo is delicious, also Oba! that is fantastic Spanish tapas style…LOVE that place.

2. Chelsea says:

We always go to Powell’s books while we’re there! And they have a HUGE Saturday market.

3. Lindsey says:

sooo excited for you! if you find yourself at a loss, Little Bird, The Original, Apizza Scholls, Stumptown Coffee and Voodoo donuts are on my list for my trip next week, and come highly recommended by my PDX friends!

4. Amy says:

You have got to try Voodoo Donuts! It’s a fun place but they also have some great donuts. My personal favorite was the Mexican Hot Chocolate but they get rave reviews on their Maple Bacon Donut!

5. N. M. says:

St. Honore Bakery! (And I second Stumptown Coffee.)

6. I eat garlic everyday and there is absolutely nothing like that fresh garlic in your picture. It’s simply amazing, but sooooo hard to find. Never been to Portland, but I think I crave Voodoo Donuts every day of my life :)

7. Kim S says:

I LOVE Portland! Have a blast! It’s probably my favorite place on earth. Happy 4th!

8. Lindsey N says:

Hope you have fun in here in Portland. VooDoo Donuts is a must go, just like everyone else said! Also Pok Pok is a good eatery and Beast if you want to go all out with a 5 course meat dinner! And don’t forget Portland’s famous food cart scene! If you get a chance to get outside of the city Multnomah Falls is very pretty and has a short hike. Enjoy!

9. Laura says:

East Burn (http://theeastburn.com/) – if you’re there late at night, the Trinity fries can’t be beat, but I HIGHLY recommend going for brunch. Was there recently with a group and we all ordered different items and couldn’t decide whose was the best.
    And I agree with previous commenters – Voodoo is a must for a true Portland experience. I prefer Voodoo Too (the big pink box) because there is better parking and seating inside.
    Have fun!

10. Ian says:

stay away from voodoo…that’s where the tourists go. :) For breakfast, Tasty and Son’s is an absolute must (same owners as toro bravo)…or for some food cart fun, go to the Big Egg. For lunch, check out legendary Bunk Sandwiches or some Kenny and Zukes. Dinner is tough as there are way too many to choose from. :) It might be worth your while to check out http://www.portlandfoodanddrink.com/. It is a local foodie blog that just published their 2012 readers choice awards. You’ll get tons of recommendations for all sorts of categories (best wine bar, best breakfast spot, best late night spot, etc.). Enjoy our fine little city.

11. Faye says:

Great recipe! Have fun in Portland…great foodie city

12. Deanna B says:

I’ve been loving hen of the woods lately. I think it has something to do with one of my favorite restaurants serving them roasted with a poached egg. Heaven on a plate.

13. Lindsay says:

Hehe, I was going to say Voodoo too :) Have a great time!

14. JulieD says:

I love frittatas and yours is beautiful!

I love Saint Cupcake – get their mini cupcakes. They’re perfectly moist and you can try different flavors. Little Big Burger and you have to try the fried chicken at the 808 Grinds food cart! Have fun!

15. Misha says:

I also say to skip the typical tourist traps like Voodoo Donuts. The donuts really aren’t that great. If you have to go, go to the one on the East side as it’s less crowded. PokPok also has a NYC location so you could skip that since you can try it at home.

Food: Screen Door (but get there before they open and get in line or else you will end up waiting for awhile), Beast (if they have any openings and you want to drop a lot of money), Equinox (for simple, local PacNW eats), Nicholas’ (Lebanese!), Le Pigeon, Noble Rot.

Dessert: Salt and Straw, Pix Patisserie

Breakfast: Gravy, Jam on Hawthorne, Mothers Bistro, Stepping Stone Cafe

My favorite food cart pod is the one on Belmont and 40-something, near Movie Madness. I think it’s called Good Food Here?

I was really put off by Laurelhurst Market. They charged us for every refill of iced tea we had without it being noted anywhere (menu or server telling us) and we ended up spending almost $15 on just tea. The steaks also weren’t good enough to justify the price point.

My favorite streets to visit are Hawthorne, Mississippi, and Alberta. NW 23rd has a lot of shopping but it’s about half larger chains (Gap, Urban Outfitters, Pottery Barn, etc.) and little shops. Powells is fun if you like books. Ground Control downtown is a bar + old school arcade. Sauvie Island is a fun day trip (fresh water island with farms and ‘beaches’).

16. Lindsey says:

I was going to write a bunch of things but Misha said it all! I would add – don’t be put off by Laurelhurst Market, it’s amazing. But it’s expensive, and it can be a long wait.

I also love Rimsky Korsakoffee on SE 12th and Morrison (the tables move! You basically HAVE to go), Habibi (same family as Nicholas’), Delta Cafe (in Woodstock), Viola’s (burgers downtown) and the food carts downtown at 9th and Alder.

Also, you definitely don’t want to be rafting. The rivers are ice cold. Do a hike in the Gorge instead! (If you have a car…) Angel’s Rest has a great view if it’s clear, and Hamilton Mountain is fun even if it’s raining.

17. Have a great trip to Portland! Can’t wait to see pictures when you guys get back! And btw, this frittata looks amazing! I have it bookmarked for my next brunch get-together.

18. Ben says:

I have never been to Portland, but it’s been on my radar for some time because of two things: 1) Xtabay (a vintage shop whose wares my wife gawks over on a daily basis) and 2) Rogue Creamery, makers of Rogue River Blue which you can buy here, but I imagine the selection is better out west.

Would love to hear how the trip goes!

This frittata with maitakes looks great! Sounds like it time to take out a loan and head to Whole Foods. :)

Enjoy your trip!

20. Mindy says:

I see a few of my recommendations already in the comments. Toro Bravo is definitely delicious, as is Tasty and Sons. The food scene is one of the best in the states, so you won’t have any trouble eating well while you’re here.
    I’d say for sure hit up Multnomah Falls. You could drive the old scenic highway and see lots of falls. My husband and I got married in the gorge, so I’m a little partial to its beauty.
    If I’d known you were comin’, I’d have mixed up some cocktails on the patio! :o )
    Enjoy your stay. Looking forward to hearing your favorite parts of the city I was born and raised in.
    P.S. You may have this set up intentionally, but just in case you’re unaware, your email address isn’t attached to your profile, so I can’t reply anytime you leave a comment on my blog.

21. becki says:

little bird is great (and a very good friend works there! :D ). In southeast, the observatory is also great–awesome drinks! i’d stay away from voodoo…very touristy, and like someone said, the donuts are meh.

22. Kendra says:

I totally second Rimsky Korsakoffee! Nothing like having to keep track of where your coffee is on the table :) I’m not a fan of Voodoo, as there are tons of other places in the city to get better doughnuts without having to wait in line. If you want good beer, drop in at the Rogue Distillery on Flanders. If you don’t have time to go while you’re in the city, don’t worry – they have a bar in PDX as well :)

And yeah… stay out of the rivers this time of year. We generally didn’t start tubing until August (end of July, if we were really desperate), but if you’re up for freezing your tushy off, go for it! The average temp. of the Willamette is about 63 degrees right now. Take a drive out to Multnomah Falls instead. It’s SO worth it, and the view from the upper bridge will blow you away.

• Kelly says:

Kendra,
      I totally agree with you about Voodoo. Their donuts are unique but I think there are a lot better tasting options out there and you don’t have to wait in line!

23. Suz says:

I just got back from a trip to Portland – had good dinners at le pigeon, which is small and cozy, and Andina, which is a big peruvian restaurant. went to pokpok for lunch, when there was no line – it was fun and tasty, but not life-changing. was unimpressed with voodoo donuts, but loved the Rogue brewery/voodoo donut maple bacon beer! beer that smells like breakfast!! you should try it!

24. Kelly says:

I wish I had read your post earlier! That’s so great you’re coming visit Portland. We are finally rolling into the nicer weather (everyone always says summer doesn’t officially start until the 4th of July here). I hope you are enjoying your time here!

25. Katie Anne says:

Have a blast in Portland!!! I grew up here in the great state of Oregon and Portland is a gem. There is so much to do here. Definitely try out the food carts, they are absolutely inconspicuously delicious. Depending on what you’re craving…I would go to Piazza Italia if you want Italian, Toro Bravo or Oba! if you want Spanish/Mexican food, the ABSOLUTE BEST of all time is the Peruvian place, Andina, I could sip their “sexy woman” spicy cocktail every day and never get sick of it, if you want Indian, go to India House…there are just so many great things to eat, see, and do in Portland! Have fun, I cannot WAIT to hear how you like it….oh, and go shopping on 23rd ave in the Pearl District :)

26. michael says:

Really great suggestions already! Definitely set a day (or several hours at least!) to wander around Powell’s Books. I get lost in there…

Also, if you’re interested in Lebanese food, there’s this really great place called Nicholas on the east side of the river. It’s tiny, you have to wait forever, and it’s so worth it.

27. Kristi says:

Portland is one of the best cities in the world! Le Happy is a great little crepery in the Pearl that has some very tasty crepes. Its small and quaint and I love it. The suggestions above are all really good too. Bluehour in the Pearl is also a great spot for late night happy hour! Have a fantastic trip!

28. Recipes like this make me wish I was a bigger fan of eggs. It looks elegant and so sophisticated, but still really hearty and delicious.