Dak Galbi

This is my at-home version of one of my favorite Korean dishes, dak galbi. When you get it made by a pro, there will usually be a few other things in there, like rice cake or cabbage (or kimchi), but I don’t generally keep those in my apartment all the time, so here we are without them. Don’t get too upset! I promise it’s still delicious. The chicken is marinated in a spicy combination of chili paste, soy sauce, curry paste, and a heaping helping of crushed chili flakes, then stir fried together with whatever vegetables you happen to have in your fridge. All of that heat and acidity helps to break down the chicken a bit, making it absolutely tender and moist, while the sauce is just the right amount of spicy. Kramer and I rarely go back for seconds, to be honest – when we’re cooking together and tasting throughout, we usually get bored of whatever we’re working on, but we both went back for another portion of this. It was so good, I even had a few leftover pieces cold, straight out of the container…but don’t tell anybody that. It makes for a great lunch the next day over some rice, as well as dinner for a few nights if you make enough (and you can keep yourself out of the tupperware for that long). I read that dak galbi was created as a cheap dish for bar patrons and students to eat instead of more expensive grilled dishes, most often meat or fish, and I’m fine with that! I don’t think it gets better than a meal that is both extremely tasty and easy on the wallet.

Beach-16
I still have to share our last set of Portland photos with you, of course! This is Maxwell having a grand old time on Sauvie Island.

Beach-17
His face kills me in this one.

Beach-11
Hooray! A stick.

Beach-32 Beach-39
Sam and Maxwell.

Beach-26
Sweet throw, dude.

Beach-24
And an equally sweet catch.

river1
Floating down the Sandy River.

river2
I had a great time, even with my dorky hat.

river5

Beach-49
And, of course, we had to hit up Voodoo.

Beach-50
Someone mail me another doughnut ASAP.

DakGalbi-1

1 2

Whisk together your marinade.

DakGalbi-4
Then pour it over your cubed chicken. Let it marinate for an hour or so, or you can let it go overnight, which I did.

1 2

Dice whatever vegetables you decide to use, but make sure you start cooking your potatoes first so that they become tender.

DakGalbi-7
Then add in your other vegetables, chicken, and sauce. Stir fry until cooked through over medium-high heat, about 8 minutes.

DakGalbi-10 DakGalbi-11
Serve over rice or on its own.

DakGalbi-14

Dak Galbi

Serves: 2-3 servings

Spicy stir-fried Korean chicken with chili paste and plenty of vegetables.
  • 2 chicken breasts or 4 boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 2 tablespoons chili paste
  • 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon red chili flakes
  • 1 tablespoon soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
  • 1 tablespoon kecap manis (or molasses)
  • 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon curry paste
  • 1 teaspoon curry powder
  • ¼ teaspoon freshly grated ginger
  • 2-3 tablespoons vegetable oil, for cooking
  • 3-4 small potatoes (or 1 large sweet potato), finely chopped
  • 1 shallot, minced
  • 2 sweet bell peppers, roughly chopped
  • toasted sesame seeds, for garnish
  • scallions, thinly sliced, for garnish

1. Whisk together your chili paste, rice wine vinegar, red chili flakes, soy sauce, sesame oil, kecap manic or molasses, sugar, curry paste, curry powder, and ginger. Cut your chicken into 1-inch pieces and pour the sauce over it in a sealable bag or bowl. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or as long as overnight (the longer the better, obviously).
  2. When you’re ready to cook, dice your potatoes very finely (you want them small enough so that they will cook quickly), mince your shallot, and chop your peppers. Add 1 tablespoon of oil to your wok or pan and cook the potatoes over medium-high heat, until beginning to blister and brown, about 5 minutes, then add in the shallots, bell peppers, and chicken (along with its marinade). Cook over medium-high heat for 8-10 minutes, until the chicken is completely cooked and the potatoes are tender. Taste, adjust seasonings as necessary, and serve garnished with some sliced scallions and sesame seeds.

1. Those Voodoo Donuts look so amazing. I wish they would ship; I would happily pay what I’m sure would be outrageous shipping prices just to try them once.

2. Oooh, this looks yummy.

3. Hilda says:

I love korean food and my fave is bulgogi and bibimpap! Thanks for sharing the recipe for this dish . I’m getting some steamed white rice and eat with your dak galbi virtually :-)

4. Skye says:

I will think about making a vegetarian version of this… looks yummy!

I was in Portland for a few days in late June and I had the same cereal doughnut, the one on the left! I actually ordered a maple-glazed one, but while I was eating it, someone walked up to me and offered me her second doughnut because she and her boyfriend were too full. They were both delicious so I ate TWO entire Voodoo doughnuts in one sitting!!! Yikes.

5. Hannah says:

you guys didn’t happen to be in a group that hit a tree and lost a floaty, did you? Totally looks like it…but I guess it could have been anyone :)

Thankfully we didn’t flip over or lose anything! Kramer’s tube started running low on air and we had to patch it up with gum (ingenuity!) but other than that, it was smooth sailing. Were you there on the Saturday after the 4th?

6. Stacey Evans says:

Hi Sydney, Another amazing recipe, I can’t wait to try this one! Glad you had fun on your trip.

7. Deanna B says:

There is nothing better in summer heat than spicy food. Nothing I tell you. I can’t wait to make this.

8. Tracy A. says:

Looks delicious – and floating down Sandy River looks like a blast!

This looks really good. I love Korean food (well, except for kimchi) — now I’m hungry for Korean bbq!

10. Joseph says:

I have a question. It looks like there’s ginger in the first photo, but it isn’t mentioned anywhere else. I happen to have just made the marinade for this recipe and decided to toss some in there just in case, but have my eyes deceived me?

My mistake, Joseph! Thanks for pointing that out. Sometimes I am not careful enough when I write down the recipes. Way to keep an eye open :)

• Joseph says:

Thanks! I wasn’t sure. I actually just made this recipe and while it was delicious, there was a lot of sauce and it was sort of a thick, starchy coating rather than a light, thin sauce as it appears in your photos. The only thing I can think of that would’ve made that happen is that I peeled my sweet potato before I started cooking it and they didn’t get too browned before I added in the chicken and other vegetables. Maybe a lot of the diced potato just broke down and coated everything else? Please help!

If it didn’t brown before adding in the other vegetables, the liquid from the sauce and other ingredients may have coaxed too much liquid/starch/sugar from the sweet potatoes. Did it taste alright? I’m sorry that happened!

11. Sam and Maxwell are so cute! And I totally need one of those cap n crunch donuts asap.

As for the dak galbi, I love this homemade version! I haven’t had in quite a long time and I don’t think I’ve ever made it myself! Definitely bookmarking this!

12. Lynna says:

This looks great! I love Korean dishes. & looks like you guys had so much fun, just chilling in the water!

13. [...] love stir-fry and this Dak Galbi recipe from Crepes from Wrath really make me drool! Is delicious and it only takes 20 minutes to cook! You must try [...]

14. GastroStu says:

Delicious sounding recipe, definitely one for the bookmarks. This would go down really well next time I want to cook something spicy to share with friends. Love the pictures too, thanks for sharing.

15. Katie says:

I love spicy chicken. I’m going to try this as soon as I can.

16. Olivia H says:

Just made this for dinner (w/ sweet potatoes) & it is fantastic! Absolutely making this again.

17. […] hummus pizza.  Tuesday: I am always trying to add new types of cuisine into our diet so this Dak Galbi seemed like a great option to accomplish that goal. Wednesday: I hadn’t intended for this […]