Twice Fried Plantains

We had such a great weekend that I don’t even mind going back to work today. Don’t you love that? We took it easy on Friday – stayed in, watched Friends with Kids (loved it), cooked, and got to bed pretty early, because we knew we’d have a full day on Saturday and we are getting old. Saturday morning, we got up and headed over to Citifield to see the Mets vs. Dodgers games with some friends. It was an absolutely gorgeous day and we had a blast, even if the Mets lost (boo!). After the game, we went back to Long Island City to eat dinner – shrimp, crabs, and plenty of beers were had and thoroughly enjoyed. We hung out at our friend’s apartment after that, and spent most of the night on the roof laughing and enjoying the mild summer weather. Sunday, yet again, Kramer and I just took it easy, although he had to go into work so I suppose he had it a bit rougher than me. I stayed home, did some cleaning up and prep work for meals throughout the week, while baking and cooking dinner for that night. Sadly, we didn’t get a chance to see TDKR, as we were idiots and didn’t look for tickets until it was too late, but fear not! We’re seeing it Tuesday night in true IMAX – I know that you all eagerly await my review (which will more than likely read: IT WAS AWESOME).

Kramer and I ate a ton of plantains when we were in Aruba this past February. I had had them before, but they are extra delicious when eaten in a tropical climate (as are most things). They are slightly sweet, just the right amount of starchy, and always crispy with a crunch of salt. They’re perfect for gobbling up on their own, or as a dip for anything from soupy, flavorful black beans to tartar or any other seafood. Plantains are cheap, easily accesible, and more importantly, just really, really good. The twice fried variation guarantee maximum chip-like crispiness, and when you make them early on in the day, like I did, you have them to snack on until dinner…which may or may not ruin your appetite, but hey, I’m not here to judge. These are a spectacular alternative to toasts or chips or any other typical appetizer-ish fare, and as you only need three ingredients to make these on your own, there’s no excuse not to!

I saw this on my way to work last week – had to take a photo, of course.

At the Mets vs. Dodgers game on Saturday.

Dinner after the game.

We ate 40 crabs between the 6 of us. Delicious!

FriedPlantains-1
I kind of love this photo – it kind of looks like the fleur de sel jar is wearing its ‘hat’ a bit askew.

1 2

Simply slice your plantains and start frying ‘em.

FriedPlantains-4
As they fry, place them on a baking rack lined with paper towels to catch any extra grease.

FriedPlantains-5
Before frying them a second time, use the bottom of a glass to smash them a bit, making them thinner and therefore crispier.

FriedPlantains-6
When you pull them from their second fry, sprinkle immediately with salt, let cool a bit, and eat!

FriedPlantains-9 FriedPlantains-12

FriedPlantains-15

Twice Fried Plantains

Serves: 30-40 plantain chips

Crispy, salty twice fried plantains.
  • 2 ripe plantains
  • oil, for frying
  • salt, for sprinkling

1. In a pot or wok, heat about 1-1/2 inches of oil to about 350 degrees F (a good test is to throw one sliced plantain in. If it bubbles when it hits the oil, the oil is hot enough).
  2. Slice your plantains about ¼-inch thick. Place them in the oil in batches (about 10 per batch, depending on the size of your pot). Fry for 2-3 minutes, until golden, then transfer them to a baking sheet covered in paper towels to catch any excess oil.
  3. Before frying them a second time, smash the plantains a bit with the bottom of the glass to make them crispier. Make sure your oil is still hot, then throw them in for a second time, frying for 1-2 minutes, until brown and crisp. Place them on fresh paper towels, sprinkle with salt, and serve.

1. Mary B says:

Love fried plantains! My grandmother is Cuban so she makes them all the time. Her way of doing it is really similar to your recipe. She slices hers a little thinner, maybe an eighth of an inch. Yum! I’ve been seeing plantains at the store… seeing your recipe is really pushing me to buy some and cook.

2. SuzyMcQ says:

I believe they are called tostones, at least that’s what my friend from Ecuador called them. Delicious!

3. Ben says:

Yep they are called tostones or patacones (differs by country of course). My mom used to make these for us as kids – sooooo good. I’ve seen them used here in NY in place of bread to make sandwiches (called jibaritos but I’ll bet there are a zillion names for them). If you ever see Patacon Pisao (at a food fair or if you happen across their retail fronts), they make incredible sandwiches with these.

4. Debra says:

I looove plantains. They are also yummy if you sprinkle on just a tad of cinnamon and sugar.

5. Daniela says:

I love fried plantains! I cut them thicker and then after the first frying I smash them and fry them again.

You should wait for them to ripe until black and then slice them thinly and fry them. They become so sweet and juicy. sweet fried plantains are a gift from the gods!!!

6. I watched Friends with Kids too. It was pretty good! I have never had plantains but have always wanted to try them because what could be bad about a starchy fruit that’s fried . . . twice?

7. I adore plantain chips!! And, also, anything twice fried. ;)

8. Rhonda says:

I have never had fresh crabs before, I really want to try them. They were one of my Dad’s favorite foods, but I was too much of a butthead to try them back when I lived at home :)

I am glad you had a great weekend!

9. Jen says:

Sydney, these look awesome! I think I’ll make them next time I cook my favorite Cuban pork shoulder recipe by Tyler Florence and pair them with some black beans too. :D

I hope you have fun seeing The Dark Knight Rises! I’ve seen it twice now, and while I still love The Dark Knight (first and foremost) and Batman Begins more, it was really good and gets even better with each viewing. Can’t wait to hear what you think and see your next recipe!

10. 40 crabs among 6 people? That’s my kind of meal! And the tostones look delicious

11. These guys look killer! What a perfect snack. yum.

12. Last time I fried plantains, it didn’t turn out very good. I need to try this twice fried method, I think. Some of my slices were too thick, and didn’t fry up very crispy. I really really want these to be a delicious snack!

13. Lynna says:

omgoodness. I`m sure to love these and so will the rest of my family! Thanks for sharing~

14. Plantaaaaains! <3 Those look amazing, especially with sprinkles of salt and a slight smushing before the second fry! So glad you had a good weekend. I love going to Mets games (even if I have to listen to Mike yell about the "F*KING METS" the entire ride home). Fresh air, hot pretzels, giant sodas…. and the chance to scream like a banshee in public! And the cover of that menu is just great :)

15. Oh yum! I love fried plantains! I lived in the Dominican Republic one summer and ate my weight in these I think.

16. Deb says:

Well, well, well! Twice fried? I can’t imagine anything that would taste this scrumptious! (except maybe caramel) And a gentle sprinkle of sea salt would be like the star ornament on the Christmas tree! Just extraordinary, my family will adore this recipe.

17. this is crazy – I am headed to my house in Aruba, tonite!! Just posted about it! The last time I was there was over Xmas and made coconut oil fried plantains that trip and posted about it. TOO FUNNY that of all places, you mention Aruba & plantains. Will be having some from the store that sells them down the street from me!