Stir-Fried Pork Belly

make take-out at home

I am being eaten alive in New York this summer. I currently have at least five mosquito bites, and this is after my previous five have healed. And I don’t just get mosquito bites – I get bites that turn into giant bumps because I suspect I may be allergic…or something. Either way, it’s annoying and I hate it. It’s just been raining on and off for the past month, so obviously it’s been mosquito city with all the humidity and standing water. S-I-G-H. Hopefully it will pass soon. Otherwise I may be driven mad and have to go into hiding until the winter. Other than the bugs, it’s been a good weekend. Friday night, we went out to dinner for Restaurant Week with a friend to Co-Op Restaurant, followed by one of my favorite bars that my friend Val introduced me to, Motor City Bar. Saturday, we went to a friend’s apartment for a delicious Cuban-themed party, where we ate homemade ropa vieja and drank mojitos, followed by a quick (and I mean quick because this bar is the worst) stop over at Union Pool in Williamsburg with our friend Eric, who just got home after spending a year in China, before heading over to my much preferred local bar, The Tradesman. In the morning, we all went out to Pies n’ Thighs for breakfast, then Kramer put some finishing touches on our new layout (you like?) while I met up with my friend Lindsey for small plates and drinks at Huckleberry Bar. I wanted to stay up and watch Breaking Bad, but I was exhausted and we went to sleep around 10 PM like the old fogies that we are.

I figured that since we have a super cool, beautiful, perfect, awesome, etc. new layout for the site, thanks to our talented friend Jill, I figured that I would christen it with one of the best things in the entire world: pork belly. I assumed that pork belly would involve a lot of prep work and possibly a long cooking time, and while there are certainly ways to make delicious, slow cooked pork belly, I don’t have time for that after work. Instead, I marinated this in a simple mixture of soy sauce, mirin, sesame oil, and vinegar, then quickly stir-fried it with some brown rice and sugar snap peas after work last week. The whole thing took about 15 minutes and Kramer and I ate the entire pan. It was, simply put, fantastic. Slightly sweet, slightly salty, with just the right amount of melty pork fat in between the pieces of meat was just what I needed on a Monday. If you must turn your stove on during the summer, a quick stir-fry is perfect because you only need a bit of high heat for a few minutes before you’ve got yourself a wholesome dinner to enjoy…preferably while watching a favorite Sunday night television show (or two).

Adorable beer on Friday night.

Crossing the bridge on the way to the city on Saturday night.

Best way to end the weekend? With a coconut lime doughnut.

StirFryPorkBelly-1
Gather your sauces and other ingredients.

StirFryPorkBelly-2
Slice your beautiful, beautiful pork belly.

StirFryPorkBelly-3
Then pour the marinade over the pork and seal. I marinated mine for 48 hours.

StirFryPorkBelly-4
When your pork has marinated, heat a wok or pan over high heat, then pour in the pork. Cook for 8-10 minutes over medium-high heat, until the pork is cooked through and the sauce has thickened slightly.

StirFryPorkBelly-8
Serve with rice and vegetables.

StirFryPorkBelly-5

Stir-Fried Pork Belly

Serves: 2-3 servings

Tender, fatty pork belly served up in a sweet and salty sauce.
  • 1 pound pork belly, thinly sliced
  • ⅓ cup soy sauce
  • ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
  • 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon sesame oil
  • 1 teaspoon mirin (optional)
  • ½ teaspoon Chinese 5-spice
  • pinch salt and ground pepper
  • red pepper flakes, for garnish
  • scallions, for garnish

1. Thinly slice your pork belly into bite-sized pieces. Whisk together your soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, sesame oil, mirin, Chinese 5-spice, salt, and pepper. Pour the sauce over the pork belly, place in an airtight container or bag, and marinate for a few hours or as long as 48 hours (I did 48 hours).
  2. When you’re ready to cook, heat a pan over high heat and add in a tablespoon of vegetable oil. Pour the pork and its sauce into the pan, and stir-fry for 8-10 minutes over medium-high heat, until the pork is cooked through and the sauce is thickened slightly (although it will not thicken much). Add in some snap peas or other veggies halfway through cooking time, if you like. Serve with vegetables and/or rice.

1. Keith says:

Sydney, this looks incredible! I can’t wait to make this with some white rice for a quick, Asian inspired, mouth flavorgasm. keep em coming!

2. Megan says:

Oh this looks delish! And I love the new design! I love slab serif fonts. :)

3. Ben says:

Will definitely put this on my To Try list when the winter hits. (Too much good stuff at the Greenmarket these days!)

Re: Mosquitoes. Have you ever tried baking soda? A little slurry of baking soda and water applied to the bite and it will stop itching and not swell up. Apparently, it’s the old acid-base neutralization trick. I’ve been using it for literally years.

4. JulieD says:

Would you think I’m crazy when I say I don’t eat pork? I’m a crazy Vietnamese girl who doesn’t eat pork but your photographs are beautiful and it looks so darn good!!

I have to say, I love love love the new look…your photographs pop even more with the new layout. Love love love!!

BTW, are you going to try to come up with a recipe for that doughnut…oh gosh I remember seeing it when you instagrammed it, looks so good!

5. Mary Ellen says:

Oddly enough I just had this for lunch this afternoon and I’m in China (still after 9 years!). Thing is I never knew how to make it and I’m so glad you have such an EASY recipe for it. Now when I move back to Canada (this fall) I’ll be able to make one of my favourite dishes at home!

Thanks Sydney!

6. Love the changes you made to your website! And sorry about your mosquito bites.

As for this pork belly – YUM! I just posted my pork belly sliders and I’ve been craving pork belly all over again so your post came just in time!

7. I’m digging the new layout. Very clean and makes me want to eat the screen, those gorgeous food photos!

8. Molly says:

Not sure when the new look happened because I’ve been away – but I have to say, I dig it!

In other news, Hitachino Nest White Ale is one of my FAVORITE beers. Especially in the summer. Love to see I’m not alone!

I love pork. This definitely goes on the “to make” shortlist.

re: mosquitoes, I’ve found that campho-phenique will at least subdue the itching so you’re not driven… “buggy” by it.

Of course, Bloomberg could just ban mosquitoes, too. He bans everything else…

10. Kim says:

I also am hugely allergic to mosquitos. It started after I got bit and infected with Dengue Fever in Australia as a high school student. Now they get as wide as a lemon within 2-3 minutes of the bite. It’s awful!

I love the new layout. Super swank!

11. I love pork belly, and that looks so good! Your new web design is fabulous; very clean and easy to navigate. But all these pictures of amazing donuts are killing me. First Voodoo, now that coconut lime one? I need to find more mail order donut bakeries.

12. Megan says:

oh god, this is drool worthy. wow.

also, the new layout is perfect. loving it. :)

13. Mona says:

I had something else marinating for dinner but thanks to this post I’m saving that for tomorrow and having pork belly tonight. Can’t wait

14. Lynna says:

Awesome new layout!! :)

These pork belly is making me HUNGRY! Looks so so so gooddd! Love that it`s simple! Hehe.

15. Lindsey says:

this looks absolutely divine girl. I adore the new layout – it’s perfect!

16. Faye says:

Impressive! And your blog just keeps getting better and better. Love the new look!

17. The new design is bold and eye-catching, two thumbs up. Plus, this has been a reminder for me to revisit Pies N Thighs…it’s been too long. The pork belly pics are pulling me in.

18. Rhonda says:

I love the new look! I had pork belly at Frank And Alberts in phx at the Biltmore and I immediately fell in love. I never imagined it would be so easy to prepare.

19. Hi Sydney! I was just browsing your recipe index and I was surprised to see you’re not a professional chef… you make some really exotic and creative things and they all look fantastic! I’m so hungry now! :)

20. Deb says:

What a wondefully easy dinner, indulgent and fragrant with savory spices! The photos are marvelous, adore the glistening glaze on the pork belly!

21. WOW….. Juicy and fat pork belly! This looks way too good… Comforting. Would definitely make it one day. In the bookmark! Thanks for stopping by my blog.