Honey Banana Poppy Seed Muffins

with a crunchy raw sugar topping

Hi, guys. I am still coughing up my lungs. It sucks. I went to the doctor and am taking steroids and antibiotics. I got this super strong cough syrup to take but it makes me nauseous, unfortunately. I can take a little before bed, but even last night I woke up feeling horrible after taking half a teaspoon. S I G H. Last night, Kramer and I were watching a funny movie and I had to hold in my laughter because it hurt my chest and ribs to laugh. Oh well. I’m sure in a few more days I will be in tip top shape again. Who knows? Maybe it will even be tomorrow morning. I just need to keep taking my medication and vitamins and rest up. Any other tips? My boss said to take zinc cough drops, but I haven’t been able to find them in my part of Brooklyn. I’m going to look for them in Manhattan tomorrow. I know a lot of people are sick right now, too. It’s the curse of 2013. I never believed that 13 was an unlucky number, but now I’m not so sure. Seems that way to me! At least I have any awesome new Darth Vader lightsaber to keep me warm at night.

249825_10102063745943481_1996183136_n
The awesome new lightsaber that Morgan got for Kramer and me. It’s sitting on our mantle in all its glory.

I figured that this was a nice, easy recipe to start the first weekend of 2013 with. It’s from my favorite book, of course, Baked Elements, and it yet another winner. The honey add just a touch of sweetness, the banana makes the muffins nice and moist, and the poppy seeds add a welcome crunch to add some texture to an otherwise ordinary muffin. I also added some raw sugar to the top for a gourmet look, but that’s completely optional. I don’t think I’ll ever get tired of banana bread recipes. Everyone’s always got extra bananas lying around, and it’s sometimes a challenge to come with new ways to bake them into something delicious. Go ahead and add dried fruit, chopped nuts, chocolate chips, or whatever else it is you like to eat with your banana muffins – these are versatile, keep for almost a week in an airtight container, and are the perfect thing to share with friends and coworkers.

74588_10102058210416721_1339737907_n
All of the get well drinks and smoothie ingredients that Kramer got for me when I was at death’s door earlier this week. I am now just hanging out on death’s driveway.

564771_10102064157673371_283729939_n
But I couldn’t let any illness get in the way of at least somewhat celebrating our three year wedding anniversary! So I made Thomas Keller’s friend chicken, broccoli rabe, and coleslaw.

PoppyseedMuffins-1
As with most muffin recipes, this one couldn’t be easier. Just get your batter together.

PoppyseedMuffins-2
And scoop into your muffin cups. You can sprinkle with some raw sugar for a bit of crunch, if you like.

PoppyseedMuffins-5
Allow to cool and serve.

PoppyseedMuffins-10

Honey Banana Poppy Seed Muffins

Serves: 18-20 muffins

Tender banana muffins with a light touch of honey and the crunch of poppy seeds.
  • 1½ cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • ½ teaspoon kosher salt
  • 3 large bananas, very ripe and mashed (about 1 cup)
  • ⅓ cup vegetable oil
  • ¼ cup whole milk or buttermilk
  • ¼ cup honey
  • 2 large eggs, room temperature
  • 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
  • raw sugar, for sprinkling (optional)

1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Line and/or grease 18-20 muffin cups and set aside.
  2. In a large bowl, whisk together your flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. In another large bowl, beat together the mashed bananas, vegetable oil, milk or buttermilk, honey, and eggs.
  3. Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix until just moistened. Fold in the poppy seeds. Place about ⅓ cup of batter into each muffin cup (don’t overfill the cups, definitely do less than ⅓ than a heaping ⅓ cup) and sprinkle with raw sugar, if you like. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden and set. Allow to cool slightly before removing from the pans and serving. These will keep well at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 5 days.

1. RRA says:

Yum! Lemon-poppyseed is my fav muffin, I’ll have to give these a try.

This is maybe a stupid question – did you line your muffin tin with just squares of parchment paper?

Feel better!

2. RK says:

These look amazing…I have to make them this weekend!

RRA – I was wondering the same thing.

3. Emily D. says:

I’m not sure how much they actually help but I like Halls vitamin C cough drops. Also, lots of tea/grapefruit juice/soup/etc.

Hope you feel better soon!

4. I have had the nagging cough for 2 weeks now, it will not go away! One thing I had been prescribed before that is for coughing but does not make me nauseous is Tessalon Perles, perhaps you can check with your doc. All other cough medicine makes me ralph too :) Have a great weekend!

You make a good Jedi. :)

6. Anna says:

When I first start getting a sore throat, I take garlic and echinacea supplements twice a day and Emergen-C once a day, and that has kept my last two colds down to 3-5 days and helped me avoid the chest-shattering coughs! Hope you feel better soon.

Also, did you buy those muffin cups or is that just cut parchment paper? They’re cute!

7. Deb says:

I hope you are better soon! The Banana Poppy Seed Muffins are a sweet start to the new year. A touch of the extraordinary is just the right way to start the day!

8. I hope you feel better soon!!

9. Patrizia says:

Get well soon and thanks for posting this yummy delicacies…, have you tried taking some Echinacea??

10. Anna says:

The lightsaber photo is AWESOME! And the muffins look great as well, get well soon!

11. Elizabeth says:

Hope you feel better soon!! Being sick is the worst, but baking always makes me feel better. These muffins look like the perfect remedy.

12. I so hope you’re feeling better soon! So horrible to be so sick. The muffins look great. Lovely spin on banana muffins. How do you get the parchment liners to look so professional? When I try, let’s just say they don’t look like that.

13. Lynna says:

Awww… How sweet that he got you all those get well drinks and foods! Being sick, completely sucks. But, I hope you`ll get better really soon!!

I love that muffins are easy to make. :) These look wonderful! I really need to buy me some poppy seed muffins!

14. [...] adapted this recipe from Crepes of Wrath, so check that out for the original recipe. Not that I changed it [...]

15. [...] decided to throw in some bananas I had to finish before I left, and that’s when I remembered this recipe I had bookmarked a while [...]

16. [...] 3 youngest kids out into the snow to get some. So I naturally asked my best friend, Google. I found this recipe for Honey Banana Poppy Seed Muffins that sounded delicious. You could make this recipe just [...]

17. Lara says:

Hi Sydney,

Thanks so much for putting up this recipe. It was exactly the flavours I was looking for. I made your muffins however vegan & natural sugar style just to try it out. So instead of dairy milk I used almond milk, instead of 1c of sugar and 1/4 c honey I used 3/4c of honey and instead of 2 eggs, I mixed 2T of ground flax seed with 6T of water. I also used 2 and a half bananas,(from frozen) and blended them with my hand processor which made it really nice and creamy.

Thanks again for putting it up :)

18. These beauties are in my oven RIGHT NOW! Smells amazing in here :)

19. I made these a few days ago and YESSSS they were so tasty! I loved the crunch from the poppy seeds. I only got 13 muffins, but we gobbled them up very quickly :) So glad I found your blog – it’s beautiful!